GUIDANCE FOR BA STUDENTS WHO PROGRESS TO STAGE 2 IN SEMESTER 2, 2016-17
Information on Mid-Year Progression
- This information is for BA students entering Stage 2 in January 2017. It assumes that you have earned at least 50 credits at Stage 1. You must earn 60 credits to complete Stage 1, but may progress to Stage 2 having completed at least 50 credits. For information on how to remediate outstanding credit from Stage 1, please see the information here.
- Students on denominated BA programmes – BA Economics (DN510), BA English (DN511), BA English with Drama (DN512), BA English with Film (DN513), BA Planning, Geography and Environment (DN514), BA History (DN515), Music (BMus) (DN517) and BA Psychology (DN519) – who earn sufficient credits to progress to Stage 2 in Semester 2 are not required to complete a mid-year progression form, but should consult the Mid Year Progression - subject specific information document 2016-17 for advice on module registration in Semester 2.
Selecting Majors for Stage 2
- BA Joint Honours (DN500) and BA International Languages (DN541) students who earn sufficient credits to progress to Stage 2 in Semester 2 must complete the Mid Year Progression Form 2016-17. We need this to set you up for your degree subject Majors.
- Do not submit the Registration Form until you have received your Provisional Semester 1 Results on Wednesday, 25 January 2017.
- For Joint Majors, please ensure that you meet your subjects’ progression requirements available on our website here.
- Single Subject Majors are not available in all subjects and some impose conditions or quotas on entry. For the Single Subject Major in DN500, written permission from the School must accompany your Mid-Year Progression form.
- The completed form must be returned to the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Programme Office by 12 noon on Friday, 27 January 2017.
- When your degree subject majors have been set up you must then select the relevant Stage 2 modules online. You must do this before online registration closes on Tuesday, 31 January 2017.
Prior to Registration
- Consult the Mid Year Progression - subject specific information document 2016-17, relevant to your chosen Majors, to identify the Stage 2 Core and option modules to take in Semester 2.
- Prior to registering to modules you should print out your Credit Statement in SISWeb. You may have already selected Stage 2 modules via the Electives tab in Semester 1 of 2016-17.
- If you already selected the appropriate 60 credits worth of Stage 2 modules through the Electives tab, then you do not need to take on any additional modules. However, you must identify those modules as core, option and/or elective, as appropriate, on your Mid Year Progression Form 2016-17.
- Students completing a Joint Major are required to take 25 credits in each subject, and 10 elective credits in Stage 2. Students completing a Single Major are required to complete 50 credits in their degree subject, and 10 elective credits in Stage 2.
- Please note that you are only required now to register to the modules that you wish to take in Semester 2 of 2016-17.
- You must select all Level 2 core modules which are offered in Semester 2 – the number of core modules varies from subject to subject. For further information on the core modules that you need to take within your subject please consult the Mid Year Progression - subject specific information document 2016-17.
- You will also be required to take a number of option modules at Stage 2. For further information please consult the Mid Year Progression Form 2016-17.
- As a general rule you should be registered to 30 credits worth of Stage 2 modules in Semester 2 (minimum 20, maximum 40).
- The normal credit load for full-time students is 60 credits over the two semesters of an academic year.
- The maximum number of credits permissible per academic year is 70 and the minimum permissible is 50.
- If you go over the 60 credit total per academic year, you will have to pay for the extra credit and if you fall below the 50 total, your full-time status may be in jeopardy.
General Information on BA Degree requirements
BA students are required to complete 180 credits (240 credits for BA International Students) in order to obtain a BA degree – 60 credits at each Stage. For a Joint Major, students complete 25 credits in each degree subject and 10 credits of electives, in Stages 2 and 3 (Stage 4 for BA International) respectively. For a Single Major, students complete 50 credits in their degree subject and 10 credits of electives, in Stages 2 and 3 (Stage 4 for BA International) respectively.
Students are also required to complete sufficient Level 2 and Level 3 credit overall to satisfy University requirements, that is, at least 100 credits must be at Level 2 or above, of which at least 40 credits must be at Level 3 or above.
- Example of a Level 2 module: ENG20400-Critical Theory-Note the number 2 after the ENG subject code.
- Example of a Level 3 module: SOC30220-Science and Society-Note the number 3 after the SOC subject code.
Students must complete all core modules and satisfy any option rules within their degree subjects.
GUIDANCE FOR BA STUDENTS WHO PROGRESS TO STAGE 2 IN SEMESTER 2, 2017-18 WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE IN NOVEMBER.
For information contact the Programme Office