MA/GradDip in TESOL (Full-Time / Part-Time)
The MA and GradDip in TESOL are aimed at experienced TESOL teachers.
The programme is designed to provide teachers with practical knowledge and skills they can immediately apply to their teaching practice. Students will see a difference in how they approach their teaching and in the value they give to their students. Most importantly, our programme works around typical language school timetables, which means students have the opportunity to continue teaching full time while undertaking the TESOL course.
Through the programme students will develop best practice through engagement with state-of-the art research and acquire a familiarity with technological advances related to the field. Graduates from the programme are well positioned to take up employment as specialist teachers and/or academic managers, contributing significantly to teacher development and the design of teaching materials.
The programme emphasises the importance of research-informed practice, critical reflection, autonomous learning and the translation of theory into practice. Our TESOL team will also foster collaboration with local and international experts in the field to ensure that students can network, share best practices and contribute to the growing professionalisation of the TESOL field.*
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
We welcome applications from experienced teachers of English as a second, foreign or additional language.
The programmes are open to international students as well as students from Ireland.
Applicants should meet the following entry requirements:
- Hold a primary degree (at least 2nd class honours or equivalent in any discipline)
- Have an appropriate initial training qualification in TESOL/TEFL
- Have a minimum of one year relevant teaching experience in Ireland or overseas.
- Have an overall band score of 7.0 in IELTS (with a 7.0 in listening and writing components) if applicant’s first language is not English
Students on the MA or GradDip in TESOL programme will explore the theoretical underpinnings of English language teaching and will link them directly to their experience in the classroom. Each week, reaserch will be brought to the practical setting of the classroom context as students develop their knowledge and reflect on good practice. This goal will be achieved through the use of small groups, discussions, teaching observations, presentations, workshops and blended learning.
List of modules covered by the MA or GradDip in TESOL programme:
- The English Language for TESOL
- The English Teaching Context
- TESOL: Principles and Practices
- SLA & TESOL Pedagogy
- The TESOL Research Process
- Teaching, Practice, Observation & Feedback
- Minor Thesis (MA only)
Please note, modules are subject to availability.
The aims of the MA/GradDip in TESOL programme are for students to:
- Acquire a deeper understanding of the English language and the classroom implications of teaching applied language skills.
- Demonstrate an evidence based understanding of teaching, learning and assessment in TESOL.
- Develop leadership competencies in teaching, curriculum design, assessment, management, teacher development and materials design.
- Apply a critical reflection to a range of language teaching, learning and assessment approaches and adopt theory into practice.
- Develop confidence and competence in engaging in and networking with the professional community via conference presentations and workshops.
- Integrate a range of language teaching, learning and assessment technologies to enhance their students' learning experience.
- Develop advanced research skills in an area of expertise (language teaching or assessment).
- Develop a practical approach to research planning and writing skills.
Our MA/GradDip in TESOL programme is unique. We work around typical language school timetables, which means you will have the opportunity to continue teaching full time while undertaking the TESOL programme. You will see a difference in how you approach your teaching and in the value you give to your students. You will become a part of the wider ELT community, allowing you to benefit from networking and career development opportunities. You will be able to contribute to the growing professionalism across the field and be part of the growth of ELT in Ireland and beyond. The TESOL team are classroom-based language practitioners who underpin their work with the most cutting-edge pedagogical research and advances in technology.
The Applied Language Centre is a hub of communicative and applied language teaching which means you have access to a range of teaching styles. Your experience is enhanced through our programme of guest speakers and we encourage you to engage with current debates in ELT. Successful completion of our MA programme will help you become a more accomplished ELT professional, with a solid theoretical knowledge and the transferable skills necessary to enhance your career.
MA TESOL Full Time
MA TESOL Part Time
Fees are subject to change. More detailed tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website: http://www.ucd.ie/students/fees/
MA TESOL Scholarship Scheme 2020-2021
The UCD Applied Language Centre is offering 4 competitive Scholarships for students who will study on the MA in TESOL full-time in the academic year 2020/2021.
In order to be eligible to apply for this advertised scholarship, applicants must have an offer on the MA full time. Please see here to apply for the Scholarship Scheme.
UCD funding and Scholarships
UCD offers a number of graduate scholarships for full- time, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on a UCD graduate degree programme. For further information please visit UCD’s International Scholarships webpage: http://www.ucd.ie/graduatestudies/feesfundingandscholarships/scholarships/
Students who wish to undertake postgraduate training in TESOL but prefer not to complete the thesis requirement associated with the MA are welcome to apply for the GradDip TESOL.
The GradDip in TESOL invites students to follow the same course of modules as the MA.
Proud MA TESOL students and staff at the graduation in December 2019:
If you have any questions about our TESOL programmes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Please Note: The course is an in-service course and it is therefore expected that all teachers have an initial TEFL qualification (which must be recognised by ACELS should students wish to teach in Ireland after their course).