1894 the Promoters of a Veterinary School of Medicine for Ireland
led by Sir Christopher Nixon (later college president) met to discuss establishing
a veterinary college in Dublin. The new college, based in Ballsbridge, was incorporated
by Royal Charter and began its work in October 1900. Veterinary surgeons educated
at the college were examined and registered by the Royal College of Veterinary
Surgeons [RCVS] in London.
The College was taken over
by the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction in 1914 which owned,
controlled and staffed it until the second World War. After World War II, the
examining and registering functions of the RCVS in Britain were handed over to
selected universities. The Irish government followed suit and UCD (since 1946
when it was known as the Faculty of Veterinary Science, becoming Veterinary Medicine
in 1950) and TCD (since 1954) became partly associated with the training and qualification
of the profession. However, the main part of training continued to be provided
by the Veterinary College, still controlled by the Department of Agriculture.
A reorganised Department of Agriculture continued to appoint
staff and provide buildings and equipment until 1960. From 1946 and 1954 to 1960,
University College Dublin and TCD, respectively, awarded degrees to undergraduates
and graduates, but teaching was carried out by Department of Agriculture staff.
After 1960 both the school and the faculties operated independently of each other
and of the Department.
An unsuccessful attempt to place
veterinary education in the proposed Agricultural Institute was made in 1955.
The Veterinary Council of Ireland (the body responsible for registering veterinary
surgeons) failed to find a solution acceptable to both UCD and TCD. In 1958, a
visitation from the Royal College of Veterinary Medicine in 1958 found the Irish
system unsatisfactory. By 1959, a proposal which retained a faculty of Veterinary
Medicine in both UCD and TCD, established a quota for the intake of students (fifty
for UCD, ten for TCD) and left the ownership, maintenance and management of the
college with the Minister of Agriculture, was acceptable to all parties. Following
the withdrawal of the Department of Agriculture as a direct employing agency in
1960, two separate veterinary schools were run by UCD and TCD at the Ballsbridge
site and this continued until 1977 when the two schools were merged and fully
incorporated into UCD and the college ceased to be a separate entity.
books, copy, draft and original correspondence, damp press copy letter book, exam
papers, draft charter and college prospectus concerning the foundation of the
RVCI and its early administration and transfer to the DATI. Correspondence,
administrative material, printed prospectus concerning the college under DATI
administration. Includes a minute book of the Advisory Council of the Royal Veterinary
College of Ireland incorporating a printed copy of the new college charter. Material
concerning the Report of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the merger
of UCD & TCD Faculties of Veterinary Medicine plus photographs, plans, faculty
accounts, attendance registers and printed material. |