This page gathers together information which it is hoped will be useful to members of the academic staff and school administrators. If you have suggestions for other guidelines or forms which to include here, please get in touch: Barbara.Gannon@ucd.ie
- UCD College of Arts and Humanities Graduate School Board. Membership and Purpose
- Processing Applications - Graduate Taught Programmes
- Processing Applications - Graduate Research Programmes
- Leave of Absence
- Extenuating Circumstances
- Pre-Thesis Submission Extension
- Permission to Continue in the Programme
- Withdrawal Procedure
- Appointment of the Examination Committee
- Academic Policies
- UCD Programme Development, Approval and Review Framewor
- Academic Regulations
- Adjunct and Visiting Staff as Principal Supervisors
- Grade Processing and Assessment Report
For information on the purpose and objectives of the Graduate School Board (GSB), and current members, please click here.
Admission tutors are responsible for considering and approving applications to taught graduate programmes, which are normally made via the UCD Applications system. For information on processing these, please click here. The GSB will retain general oversight over this process.
Prospective applicants to graduate research programmes should be advised to discuss their projects with an appropriate supervisor in the first instance. Once a formal application has been lodged via the online system, the School - in consultation with the prospective supervisor - should consider the application. If the School wishes to recommend admission, it should forward the necessary paper work to the GSB. All recommendations for admission to graduate research programmes must be approved by the GSB prior to either a full or conditional offer being communicated to the applicant. Once the GSB has taken a view on an application, the School should inform the applicant of its decision.
5. Leave of Absence
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Graduate Guide to the Policy can be found here.
- Leave of Absence UCD Website Page
- Graduate School Board Template for Graduate Taught Studentsfor recommendations for Leave of Absence including retrospective leave of absence can be found by clicking on this link Leave of Absence Graduate Taught
- Graduate School Board Template for Graduate Research Students for recommendations for Leave of Absence including retrospective leave of absence can be found by clicking on this link Leave of Absence Graduate Research
- Extenuating Circumstances Policy can be found here.
- Extenuating Cirumstances Guidance Notes for Staff can be found here.
7. Pre-Thesis Submission - Extension
- Graduate Research Students - Pre-Thesis Submission Extension - please refer to Section 4 on the Policy on Theses in Graduate Research Programmes
- Graduate School Board Template for Graduate Research Students for recommendations for Extensions to the thesis submission deadline (due to unforseen extenuating circumstances) can be found by clicking on this link Request for Extension to Thesis Submission Deadline (Extenuating Circumstances) Graduate Research
- A student on a graduate research programme applies for permission to continue in their programme beyond the prescribed period of registration where they have not submitted their thesis by their submission deadline and have not had extenuating personal, medical and academic circumstances. All applications for permission to continue in the programme beyond the prescribed period of registration must be approved by the Graduate School Board. For further information please refer to regulation 4.1.2 (Permission to Continue in the Programme) in the Policy on Theses in Graduate Research Programmes which can be found here.
- Graduate School Board template for Graduate Research Students for recommmendations for permission to continue in the programme can be found by clicking on this link Permission to Continue in the Programme
For information on the appointment of the Examination Committee, please refer to Section 3.3 in the Policy on Theses in Graduate Research Programmes which can be found here.
Academic Policies, Procedures and Codes of Practices including the Policy on Accreditation of Prior Learning, Adjunct and Visiting Staff, Assessment Submission, Extenuating Circumstances, Graduate Theses, Late Submission of Course Work, Progression in Doctoral Programmes Policy, Plagiarism and Academic Integrity and the Policy on Leave of Absence, Extenuating Circumstances and the Policy on Withdrawal for Graduate Research Students can be found here.
Information on procedures for submitting new programme proposals and procedures for making changes to existing programmes can be found here.
Academic regulations including a) General Regulations, b) Regulations for Research Masters Degree and C) Regulations for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy can be found here
The Procedures for the appointment of Adjunct and Visiting Staff as Principal Supervisors can be found here.
Information and guidance on grade processing and assessment reports can be found here.