UCD School of Biosystems Engineering receives Award in Montreal

 

The project was developed as a result of a tragic accident in 2005 where a 14-year old boy died because of inhaling hydrogen sulphide emissions from spent mushroom compost at a site in County Cavan as reported here:http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0201/72555-gleiznysj/

Operators of such sites in the mushroom industry had previously been unaware of the extent of this safety hazard. The research study showed hydrogen sulphide levels well above guidelines and made recommendations to reduce the associated risks by altering compost management practices.

The full paper is available to download from the UCD Research Repository at: http://researchrepository.ucd.ie/handle/10197/5239

Dr Tom Curran also accepted a certificate on behalf of his UCD Biosystems Engineering colleague Emeritus Professor Paul McNulty. Paul received a Certificate of Appreciation for his contribution as an outstanding reviewer for the Biological Engineering Division of ASABE.