In June 1911, the first meeting of the Management Committee of the Dublin Skin, Cancer, and Urinary Hospital was held under the Chairmanship of Mr. J. T. Wood-Latimer and the hospital opened in rented premises in No. 3 Hume Street on 20th July 1911. A year later this house was purchased for £450. The Charter of the City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital was granted by George V in 1916.
By 1935 the remainder of the south side of Hume Street had been purchased. In 2006 the old Georgian buildings were deemed unsuitable for the requirements of a modern hospital, and the dermatology services were transferred to St. Vincent’s University Hospital. The City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital was sold in November 2006.
The Charter was amended in 2007 allowing the proceeds from the sale of the hospital to be administered by a Board of Management elected annually in accordance with the Charter.
Dr Andrew Charles
Dr Andrew Charles (1880-1933), one of the founders of the Hospital on Hume Street, was a dominant figure in the first quarter of the Hospital’s existence. Dr. Frank Charles, who joined the staff to assist his older brother, died in the influenza epidemic of 1918. The first matron of the Hospital, Elizabeth Charles, was a sister of Andrew Charles. Andrew Charles’s son, Havelock Charles (1905-1980), joined the staff in 1934 and worked there until his death and his wife, Iris, was a member of the Ladies Guild for many years.
Following the sale of The City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital in 2006, the Board of Management embarked on a number of initiatives designed to serve the principle of translational medicine whereby the benefits of medical research into skin disease whether emanating from scientific laboratories or from clinical observation and study, would be brought to patients as expeditiously as possible.
UCD Charles Institute of Dermatology: The Hume Street Legacy
The City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital Charity in partnership with University College Dublin founded the UCD Charles Institute of Dermatology on the Belfield campus of the university. The foundation stone was laid on 13th June 2008, and the Institute was opened on 19th September 2011.