Solar Energy Engineering
The Sun is our primary source of energy. The total radiant energy arriving at the Earth's surface is enough to provide over 1000 times the energy required to satisfy all of our domestic, transport and industrial needs. Within the UCD School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, the research being conducted by the Solar Energy Engineering group aims to develop sustainable technologies and aligns to the overall need to enhance our renewable energy options by,
- Building renewable capacity for
- Next generation, diffuse light, photovoltaics and solar facilitated H2 production (water splitting)
- Ameliorating CO2 emissions
- CO2 capture and solar facilitated fixation of CO2 (low molecular weight fuel production)
- Building high-added value industry from research outcomes
- Intellect property and device design.