CNWY40120 Advanced Biological Imaging
About the course
Designed for students who wish to understand and become critically aware of principles, practice and applications of rapidly developing imaging technologies
Credits ECTS 5
Dates November 13, 15, 20, 22, 26, 27; December 4, 14
Schedule 13 lectures and 5 practical workshops over 4 weeks
Module co-ordinator Dr Dimitri Scholz
Venue Various (UCD Conway Institute, Science Centre West & Health Sciences)
Registration Closes: 08 November 2018
Places available Limited
The module will be delivered over 4 weeks with morning lectures/seminars and 4 associated practical sessions (Thursday afternoons, 2-5pm).
You will have satisfactory attendance and will complete a presentation-based assignment.
What does it cover?
- Principles of biologic imaging
- Microscopy components
- Bright field microscopy
- Fluorescence and fluorescent markers
- Confocal microscopy
- High content screening and image analysis
- Histology and immunohistochemistry
- FRET, FRAP, STED, FLIM and FCS
- Ultrastructural imaging
Particular focus is given to white and fluorescent light-based imaging approaches. A series of lectures will inform about the concepts of imaging and microscopy; application of histology, immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence; basics of confocal microscopy, light sheet microscopy, super resolution microscopy, multi-photon microscopy, high content screening microscopy; techniques in light microscopy and live cell imaging; and also the relationship between light microscopy and electron microscopy.
- Download the CNWY40120 Advanced Biological Imaging descriptor
- Download the CNWY40120 Advanced Biological Imaging schedule 2018/2019
- Download the UCD Conway Institute graduate module registration form 2018/2019
- Go back to the programme calendar