UCD Home | About UCD | UCD News & Events | Virtual Tour | Contact UCD | Staff Directories | UCD Sitemap | UCD Connect

Early Career Researcher Induction Stage 1

Your first point of contact

Your principal investigator will:

  • Ensure you are set up to work in either the Conway Institute or the relevant school
  • Ensure work space, IT infrastructure, and access cards are provided
  • Contact you before your start date to arrange a meeting on your first day
  • Develop your initial work plan and book you on to the Conway core technology tour

Contracts & administration

Find out the process for setting up as a new research funded employee.

HR support

Two Human Resources staff are available for one-to-one consultations – especially useful if you are from outside Ireland and need support and advice on administrative procedures.


Deirdre Wilmot

Mary Kavanagh

Coming from a country outside Ireland?

Some nationalities require visas to enter Ireland in order to take up the job covered by their work permit. Contact your local consulate to see if you require a visa. to work in Ireland

Preparing your visa application

Preparing your work permit application

Find further information on preparing your work permit application

Applying for a PPS number

As a researcher in receipt of funding from UCD or a UCD research account, you will need to apply for a PPS number from your local Social Welfare Office. Bring your:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Proof of address If you are from outside the EU, your Garda Registration Card

Opening a bank account

Opening an Irish bank account can be done in person in the campus branches of Bank of Ireland or Allied Irish Bank.

You will need:

  • Your staff card
  • Passport
  • Proof of address

Finding accommodation

Accommodation is available either in:

  • UCD graduate residences on campus
  • Private properties outside UCD
  • Landlords may require proof of student status, photo ID, the first month’s rent and a deposit.

Next steps

YouTube LinkedIn Twitter Image Map