DUBLIN 1910-12

 

                                  

Probably early in 1909 MacGreevy enrolled in a correspondence course to prepare for the Boy Clerk's examination in the British Civil Service. He travelled up to Dublin a few days before the examination on the 29th September. There were fifteen openings for the 146 boys who sat the exam. MacGreevy scored high enough to be awarded a position with the Irish Land Commission. In February 1910 he moved to Dublin, a place of music, art and culture. There were once-in-a-lifetime performances, and history in the making. He was able to watch from his office window as King George and Queen Mary drove into Dublin on their first state visit. Months later he was in the crowd as John Redmond unveiled the Parnell monument on Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street).




A postcard, dated 29 September 1909, written by MacGreevy to his mother telling her about the Boy Clerk examinations which he sat earlier that day.1





















On 25 February 1910 MacGreevy started his first day's work as a Boy Clerk at the Irish Land Commission. He initially lived outside the city centre. Sometime between April and September 1910 he moved to this building at 51 North Great Georges Street, which, at the time, was The Great Southern Hotel.





Property of Susan Schreibman.
1 Property of the estate of Thomas MacGreevy.


Back to Index Back To Homepage Forward