Each of the six Schools within the College of E&A have School research priority areas. College Thematic areas that involve 2 Schools or more and multidisciplinary research include:
- Energy: Energy Systems, Energy Conversion & Storage, Energy in Agriculture
- Manufacturing and Materials: Manufacturing and Materials, Materials Design and Computational Nanotechnology
- Biomedical: Biomedical Engineering & Health
- Internet of Things: Internet of Things Engineering & Critical Infrastructure
- Environment: Environmental Modelling and Sensing, Water Resources, Environment Resources and Policy.
Other areas within the College include: Biopharmaceutical & Bioprocess Engineering, Food Engineering, Urban & Rural Place Making, Culture Heritage & Design, Entrepreneurship & Design and Innovation.