Maeve Binchy Travel Award 2017
The School of English, Drama and Film, University College Dublin, is pleased to announce the opening of the 2017 competition for the Maeve Binchy Travel Award. This award, sponsored by the Binchy/Snell family, commemorates Maeve Binchy, her love of travel and her world-celebrated creative writing. The Award, worth €4,000, is open to a student (undergraduate or postgraduate) currently enrolled in UCD’s College of Arts & Celtic Studies. The successful student will use the Award to fund a travel opportunity that will enhance her/his creative writing.
- Applicants are asked to submit a one-page document (strict maximum of one page), outlining the reason for applying for the Award and the project/activity that will be carried out if successful.
- Applicants may also submit a sample piece of original writing (maximum one page).
- Applicants are asked to submit a short curriculum vitae (maximum two pages).
- Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 10th April and will be reviewed by a specially convened Selection Committee.
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview in early to mid May.
- The announcement of the successful student will be made on 28th May, Maeve Binchy’s birthday.
- Applicants must at time of application be enrolled in a course in UCD College of Arts & Celtic Studies; the Award is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students in the College.
- Travel should take place no later than 31 December 2017.
- The successful applicant must provide a detailed written report subsequent to travel, outlining the main achievements and learning during her/his travel and examples of her/his creative writing influenced by the travel project/activity.
- Applicants must provide full receipts for all travel expenses.
Queries should be directed to Professor Margaret Kelleher, Chair of the Selection Committee, at email@example.com.
Download a copy of this call for applications: Maeve Binchy Travel Award 2017