Safe Assign instructions for students
Safe Assign is a software tool on Blackboard which is used as an aid to detect plagiarism in written work. As well as web-based material and sources from electronic journals. It can source whether a student is duplicating work submitted by another student.
Your module co-ordinator requires that, in ADDITION to a hard copy of your assignment, you submit an electronic version. Please note that a HARD copy of your work must be submitted through the office. The time and date of your submission will be logged according to your HARD COPY submission via the School. The electronic copy as well as the hard copy must be submitted by the advertised deadline.
Please note for work to be graded both electronic and hard copies are required. Both electronic and hard copy submissions must be identical.
THE SCHOOL RETAINS THE RIGHT TO ENTER A ‘NO GRADE’ (NG) RESULT FOR ANY ASSIGNMENT WHEN EITHER THE ELECTRONIC COPY OR THE HARD COPY OF THAT ASSIGNMENT HAS NOT BEEN UPLOADED AS REQUIRED.
See the School’s ‘Policy on Penalties for Incomplete Submission’ for further details.
To submit an electronic version of your essay via Safe Assign follow these steps:
- Log on to your UCD connect account
- Click on the Blackboard Icon
- Select the module to which you wish to submit your assignment
- Click on ’assignment’ button in the menu (left-hand side)
- Your safe assignment appears as an icon (a scroll with a tick in green)
- Click the ‘complete’ sign and upload an identical electronic version of the assignment you have submitted through the School Office (from your desktop, E drive- memory stick, etc.)
- To check that the document has uploaded click on the link once more (‘View Complete’)
Technical problems cannot be handled by academic staff- students can access technical support via the following options:
- IT Support UCD webpage for list of frequent queries www.ucd.ie/itservices/teachinglearning/it/blackboard/
- Blackboard support : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop in at the IT support Office Arts Building C108A (next to C109)