UCD’s LGBTI Staff Network
Welcome to UCD’s LGBTI Staff Network. Whether you are new to UCD or well established at the University, the LGBTI staff network is a great opportunity for you to connect with UCD’s LGBTI Community.
The LGBTI staff network offers professional and leadership development opportunities, hosts regular social and LGBTI focused UCD events, offers support. UCD’s LGBTI Staff network also partners with the student LGBTIQ society for events and community endeavours to enhance our UCD community as well as the larger national LGBTI community.
UCD LGBTI Staff Network Co-Chairs
- Judy Walsh
- Conor Buggy
For more information or to contact the LGBTI Staff Network, click the link: UCD LGBTI Staff Network (Facebook)
To find out more about UCD's Gender Identity and Expression Policy please click the link: Information - Gender Identity and Expression Policy.
Grow your Network beyond UCD with OUTstanding
UCD is proud to be the first University globally to partner with OUTstanding. OUTstanding is an inclusion initiative for organisations and global businesses, working directly with LGBTI+ and ally leaders to promote inclusion and create environments where everyone can succeed.
Sign-up to OUTstanding’s Newsletter for news to find out more about upcoming events.
OUTstanding Mentoring Programme
This unique cross-industry mentoring programme brings together emerging LGBTI+ talent and senior business leaders from throughout our network in mentoring partnerships. Mentoring aids in the career development of emerging LGBTI+ talent and provides a platform to help them address specific career challenges, actively fostering diverse talent pipelines. Our mentoring scheme encourages reverse mentoring, providing senior leaders an opportunity away from the business to build an understanding of issues affecting the LGBTI+ workforce. This enables senior leaders to build confidence and capability when talking about LGBTI+ and become more visible allies in their business.
Become a Mentor
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please read the Mentoring Programme Overview.
Mentors of the programme will be invited to join a live webinar session where we will provide some guidelines and top tips for them to begin their mentoring journey.
Become a Mentee
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please read the Mentee Programme Overview. Mentees of the programme will be invited to join a live webinar session where we will provide some guidelines and top tips for them to begin their mentoring journey.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest by 6th March 2019.
OUTstanding Emerging Leaders’ Programme
This programme is an intensive development programme for high potential LGBT+ talent. This programme is designed to build confidence, capability and leadership skills to help emerging talent transition into more senior roles. As well as serving to inspire and inform, the programme will equip future leaders with the tools to proactively shape and progress their careers.
Diversity in people, perspectives and experience breeds diversity of thought. And diversity of thought is critical for innovation. The programme serves to address this challenge by shaping a pipeline of LGBT+ leaders for the future.
The OUTstanding Emerging Leaders programme is made up of carefully shaped modules including leadership development, role modelling, peer group work and interactive learning.
Across the two-day programme, participants will:
- Learn from some of Ireland’s most successful and inspiring LGBT+ and ally leaders
- Develop their leadership skills, confidence and capability
- Gain leadership insights through our assessment tool & shape their leadership development plan
- Work with peers to shape innovative solutions to inclusion challenges
- Expand their professional network
- On Day 2, participate in a specifically shaped ‘design thinking workshop’ led by IBM at their offices in Damastown, which will tackle the challenges and pressing problems the LGBT+ community face in Ireland and give participants the opportunity to problem solve and take the outcomes of this workshop back to their organisations.
Session overview details are below:
Day 1: 03 April 2019 (08:30 – 18:00) Location: TBC – OUTstanding Emerging Leaders Programme
Day 2: 04 April 2019 (09:00 – 17:00) Location: IBM, Damastown – Design Thinking Session
Programme candidates should meet all of the following criteria:
- Is either L, G, B or T (or falls within a + category or identity)
- Minimum 4 - 5 years’ management experience
- Has shown demonstrable ambition in the organisation
- Actively engages with development opportunities available within your organisation
Additionally, candidates should demonstrate at least three of the following characteristics:
- Is part of your organisation’s LGBT+ network - ideally holding a named position
- Has attended two or more OUTstanding events or programmes
- Holds a position of responsibility at a volunteer organisation
- Has responsibility for an area of strategic importance at your organisation
- Sits on a non-executive board
- Currently has line management responsibilities for a team
- Volunteers in their own time for a charitable cause
- Is not a mentor on our Mentoring Programme
- Is a nominee or lister on the OUTstanding LGBT+ Future Leaders list
If you would like to attend, please contact email@example.com by Wednesday 13th February 2019.
Make a difference to LGBTI people at UCD
If you are also interested in contributing to a more inclusive UCD for LGBTI colleagues, consider joining the LGBTI Subgroup. The LGBTI Subgroup was established under UCD’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and is devoted to supporting UCD’s policies and practices are reflective of LGBTI people. The LGBTI subgroup reports to the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Group chaired by Professor Colin Scott, Vice President for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at UCD. More information about the LGBTI Subgroup can be found on this site.