UCD Global Guides
UCD's team of Global Guides support fellow students by proding information, managing and organising events amd offering peer to peer support.
Meet the UCD Global Guides (Class of 2019!)
Global Guides are based in the UCD Global Lounge during term time so pop down to get in touch.
Become a UCD Global Guide
Applications are now open to become a UCD Global Guide for the 2019/2020 academic year.
Get paid to support fellow students and develop your skills in a range of areas such as information provision, event management, peer to peer support and administration.
Are you interested in being part of our UCD Global Guide team? We are looking for UCD student Global Guides for positions starting in August, 2019. We offer part-time hours and the chance to be part of a team that promotes interculturalism on UCD campus.
Scroll down for more information, and details on how to apply.
Being a Global Guide has allowed me to meet many amazing students from diverse backgrounds. From learning phrases in different languages to participating in aspects of diverse cultures has truly widened my horizons. Taking part in many cultural festivals like Chinese New Year and Diwali has truly made me feel like I have been around the world in less than nine months. Being a Global Guide has been one of the main highlights of my time here in UCD and I could not recommend this role enough!
Mary, Irish, 2018/19 Global Guide
The position of the UCD Global Guide is to provide support to UCD Global and students. The objective is to manage the day-to-day activities within the UCD Global Lounge in order to promote and increase international activity in UCD.
- To welcome and assist UCD Global Lounge users and ensure a relaxing and supportive environment
- To help with sign-posting and orientation for international students around campus and provide information on public transport and local facilities
- To answer students’ questions regarding UCD and student life
- To assist in the planning of large scale events and any associated preparation; be responsible for setting up room, seating plan and Laptop/PA system; ensuring smooth running of events and dealing with any technical issues that may arise; being the main point of contact and welcoming guests and dealing with ticketing
- To help manage, host and take an active part in regular events such as ‘Language Cafes’, ‘National Celebrations’, ‘Movie Nights’ and ‘Games Afternoons’.
- To be a contact point for students on UCD Global social media channels
- To create content for UCD Global’s social media channels
- To assist in the promotion of events through social media, online blogs and other methods
- To accompany students on organised bus and cultural tours
- To ensure that the UCD Global Lounge is kept clean and tidy at all times
- To ensure that there is no infringement of ‘house rules’ or ‘equality guidelines’
- To undertake any other duties as directed by your Manager or other designated UCD staff
- To track and complete online engagement forms e.g. number of people at events
The ideal UCD Global Guide will have the following qualities, experience and skills:
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Experience of living and/or studying abroad
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to helping ensure that students get the best out of their UCD experience
- Good organisational, administrative, technical and social media skills
- A flexible approach and open mind
- Experience of dealing with diverse cultures
- Reliability and punctuality
- Ability to represent the UCD Global Lounge and UCD Global to the highest standard
- Awareness of cultural adjustments international students may need to make
- A good knowledge of UCD and its student support services, campus and transport links
- A thorough knowledge of the city and transport links
Please note that this role involves some manual lifting.
- All UCD students, from Stage 2 upwards, are eligible to apply including Graduate students
- Mandatory training will take place on August 27th and 28th
- Global Guides are required to commit to working a minimum of 2 shifts per week
- Global Guides are eligible to apply for a UCD Advantage Award which formally acknowledges student engagement in co-curricular activities
- Further details will be given to shortlisted candidates
An opportunity to; enhance your college experience by being part of an exciting student initiative; improve your skills through experience and training; work part-time and be paid €9.80 per hour.
What skills do I need?
- A knowledge of UCD and the services available to students on campus
- Familiarity with the campus and transportation to and from the college
- An understanding of cultural adjustment and diversity on campus
What skills will I gain?
A wide range of skills, that will look great on your CV, including;
- Event Management
- Information Provision
- Orientation for international students
- Peer to peer support
- The production of photo, audio and video content for social media
Shifts are outlined below. Please note that these are subject to change. Each Guide is expected to work a minimum of two shifts per week. Employment duration is for 12 weeks initially.
|Day||Shift 1||Shift 2||Shift 3|
|Monday - Friday||08:50hrs - 12:00hrs||12:00hrs - 16:30hrs||16:30hrs - 21:00hrs|
|Saturday||14:00hrs - 18:00hrs|
|Sunday||Closed (excluding September)|
Yes, successful applicants are required to undergo training prior to commencing work in the UCD Global Lounge.
Only currently enrolled UCD students can apply. Applicants must have completed a minimum of 2 semesters at UCD by September, 2019.
For informal enquiries, please email Colin Tannam: email@example.com or call +353 1 716 8524
Click here to apply.
During my time as a Global Guide, I loved learning about and celebrating the cultural diversity that exists on campus. Being a Global Guide is a unique way to get involved and be a part of everything that is going on from society events to national celebrations. Personally, meeting students from all over the world and welcoming them to both UCD and Ireland was my highlight. For me it was the perfect job to have alongside studies in UCD and I met so many great people and enjoyed so many unique experiences.
Helen, Irish, 2018/19 UCD Global Guide
Take the Next Step
Contact us today for more information or to apply for a place.