Academic Council Committee on Honorary Degrees and Major Awards
The Academic Council Committee on Honorary Degrees and Major Awards (ACCHDMA) authorises the award of honorary degrees and retains oversight of the award of major public awards on behalf of, and on the delegated authority of, Academic Council.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
- The President will present candidates for the award of an honorary degree to the Committee, with supporting documentation including the biography and achievements of the candidate and the rationale for the award.
- Where representations are made to the President, from within our without the University, that an individual merits the award of an honorary degree, in order to protect the confidentiality of the process, the President will not indicate whether or not that individual will be or has been considered by the Committee.
- The proceedings of the Committee are strictly confidential.
- The candidate must not be approached unless and until the Committee recommends the award of an honorary degree.
- Where the Committee recommends the award of an honorary degree, the President, or a member of the University acting on behalf of the President, will approach the candidate to determine if they will accept the degree.
- Where a candidate recommended by the Committee is willing and in a position to accept the degree, the University will confer the degree.
- Where a candidate indicates that they will accept an honorary degree and is to be conferred, their candidacy will be brought to the attention of the next meeting of Academic Council and the next meeting of Governing Authority as an item for noting.
- The name of a candidate recommended by the Committee for the award of an honorary degree shall not be released unless and until the candidate has indicated they will accept the degree, and then only on the direction of the President.
- Academic Council Committee on Honorary Degrees and Major Awards will retain oversight of the approval process for the University’s major public awards, which include the Foundation Day Medal; Ulysses Medal; Honorary Doctorates and College/School Medals.
2018-19 Academic Session
Deputy President, VP for Academic Affairs and Registrar (Chair)
Prof. Mark Rogers
Vice President for Research, Innovation & Impact
Prof. Orla Feely
College Principal – Arts & Humanities
Prof. Sarah Prescott
College Principal – Social Science & Law
Prof. Colin Scott
College Principal – Business
Prof. Anthony Brabazon
College Principal (Interim) – Engineering & Architecture
Prof. Michael Bruen
College Principal – Science
Prof. Joe Carthy
College Principal – Health & Agricultural Sciences
Prof. Cecily Kelleher
Nominated by CP – Arts & Humanities, appointed by AC
Prof. Anne Fogarty
Nominated by CP – Social Science & Law, appointed by AC
Prof. James O’Shea
Nominated by CP – Business, appointed by AC
Prof. John Cotter
Nominated by CP – Health & Agricultural Sciences, appointed by AC
Prof. Frank Monahan
Nominated by CP – Science, appointed by AC
Prof. Padraig Dunne
Co-opted members: Director of Communications co-opted as a non-voting member
ACCHDMA Meeting Schedule 2018/19
|Submission Dates||Meeting Dates|
|Thursday 7 June 2018||Thursday 6 September 2018, 10am|
|Tuesday 13 November 2018||Tuesday 12 February 2019, 10am|