University Programmes Board
The University Programmes Board (UPB) reviews, approves and monitors the design, delivery, assessment and quality of the educational programmes within its remit and provides University level oversight for all programmes governed by the Undergraduate Programme Boards, College Graduate Schools, Programme Board, Graduate Programme Boards and Boards of Studies established by the University.
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
1) Oversee the development, approval, review, and delivery of programmes by governing boards to assure compliance with Academic Regulations and the effectiveness and quality of programmes.
2) Establish frameworks for the development, approval, and review of programmes that delegates to Governing Boards or reserves to UPB decision-making as appropriate.
3) Ensure procedures are in place to monitor trends and audit decision-making with respect to –
- Recognition of prior or concurrent learning
- Internationalisation of programmes
- Internships and employability initiatives
- Other aspects of programme design or governance identified by UPB or Academic Council
4) Develop policies, procedures, guidelines, and initiatives as appropriate to promote effectiveness, excellence, and fairness in the delivery and governance of programmes.
5) Adjudicate on applications for derogation from the Academic Regulations submitted by schools or governing boards.
6) Review the Academic Regulations at suitable intervals and where amendment is deemed advisable, propose amendments to Academic Council.
7) Recommend policies, and approve and oversee procedures and frameworks as appropriate, for the development, approval, review, and delivery of the following educational activities, to assure the effectiveness and quality of such offerings:
- Internship and employability initiatives
- Study abroad opportunities
- CPD offerings by schools
8) In consultation with the Academic Council Quality Enhancement Committee, approve and oversee policies, procedures, and frameworks as appropriate for the governance and continuous monitoring and auditing of programme quality.
9) Request, receive, and review reports pertinent to monitoring and auditing the quality of programmes.
10) Highlight existing and emerging good practice examples and promote dissemination of such practices.
11) Consider such matters as Academic Council may refer.
Deputy President, VP Academic Affairs, Registrar (Chair)
Prof. Mark Rogers
Deputy Registrar, Graduate Studies
Prof. Barbara Dooley
Dean of Undergraduate Studies
Prof. Marie Clarke
Agriculture and Food Science Programme Board – Chair - Dean of Agriculture or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Eileen Gibney
Architecture, Landscape, Planning and Environmental Policy Programmes Board – Chair - Dean of Architecture or nominee
Prof. Hugh Campbell
Arts and Humanities Programme Board – Chair - Dean of Arts or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Fionnuala Dillane
Business Undergraduate Programme Board – Chair - Dean of Business or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Maeve Houlihan
Engineering Taught Programmes Board – Chair - Dean of Engineering or nominee
Law Programme Board – Chair - Dean of Law or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Paul Ward
Prof. Joseph McMahon
Medicine Programmes Board – Chair - Dean of Medicine or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Suzanne Donnelly
College of Health and Agricultural Sciences Graduate Research Programme Board - Nominated by College Principal
Assoc Prof. Helen Gallagher
Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems Programme Board – Chair - Dean of Nursing
Prof. Gerard Fealy
Public Health, Physiotherapy, Performance and Sports Sciences Programme Board - Chair - Head of School
Science Taught Programmes Board – Chair - Dean of Science or nominee
Assoc. Prof. Evelyn Doyle
Social Sciences Programme Board - Chair - Dean of Social Sciences
Assoc. Prof. Sara O’Sullivan
Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Nursing Programme Board - Chair - Dean of Veterinary Medicine
Prof. Michael Doherty
Director of Graduate School – Arts and Humanities
Assoc. Prof. Elva Johnston
Director of Graduate School – Social Science and Law
Assoc. Prof. Nuala Brady
Director of Graduate School – Engineering and Architecture
Dr Near Murphy
Director of Graduate Research School – Science
Assoc. Prof. Paul McCabe
Director of Graduate School – Business
Prof. Gerardine Doyle
Chair of Graduate Research School Board – Business
Prof. Ronan Powell
Chair of the Liberal Arts and Sciences Programme Board
Prof. Tasman Crowe
Representative of the UCD-IOB Joint Programmes Board
Dr Siun Hanrahan
Chair of the Academic Affairs Board of Studies or nominee
Dr Áine Galvin
Chair of the Global Engagement Board of Studies
Assoc. Prof. Paul Fanning
Chair of the Research, Innovation and Impact Board of Studies or nominee
Prof. Suzi Jarvis
Beijing-Dublin International College Academic Committee – Chair - the Provost
Director of Registry (or nominee)
Director of Quality
Dr Roy Ferguson
Three student representatives nominated by the Students' Union
Co-opted members: UPB may co-opt additional members for specified purposes and periods of time as non-voting members to ensure appropriate expertise is available to conduct its business effectively.
UPB Meeting Schedule 2019/20
|Submission Deadline||Meeting Date|
|Tuesday 13 August 2019||Tuesday 3 September 2019|
|Thursday 19 September 2019||Thursday 10 October 2019|
|Tuesday 5 November 2019||Tuesday 26 November 2019|
|Tuesday 4 February 2020||Tuesday 25 February 2020|
|Tuesday 17 March 2020||Tuesday 7 April 2020|