Healthy UCD Quit Smoking Group
On March 7th 2018, 20 staff across UCD began the Healthy UCD Quit Smoking group. The group took place for 6 weeks and was facilitated by a Health Promotion Officer in Tobacco from the HSE. The Quit Smoking Group gave participants the opportunity to set out the preparation, planning and coping strategies that are essential to support people to stop smoking.
By the end of the 6 weeks, 14 participants had set a quit smoking date with 9 having quit smoking by the last session of the group. Stopping smoking is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health and the participants of the Healthy UCD Quit Smoking group showed a lot of dedication and determination to not only attend the group dates but to set a quit date and/or quit smoing too.
As part of Healthy UCD Quit Smoking Procare Pharmacy UCD (in UCD Sports Centre) kindly offered a 30% discount on their Nicotine Replacement Range until 30th April 2018. This included:
- Nicorette Patches
- Nicorette Gum
- Nicorette Quickmist
- Niquitin Lozenges
Please keep an eye on our website and social media accounts for further smoking cessation courses.
If you wish to stop smoking there are a wide range of easily accessible smoking cessation supports available to you:
- Call the National Smokers Helpline 1 800 201203
- Visit www.quit.ie and sign up for an online QUIT plan
- Join Quit Facebook support group www.facebook.com/HSEquit
- Contact your local HSE smoking cessation service via Quit.ie
- Talk to your GP or pharmacist for help, support and medications.
- St Vincent’s University Hospital Stop Smoking Courses (6 week evening courses run throughout the year) contact 01 – 221 4958 or email email@example.com
- Irish Cancer Society provides audio guides and other supports