Skip navigation


PPS & Tax Information


Basic information on PPS numbers and Tax Certs is detailed below. Find out how to apply for a PPS number or Tax Cert, who you can contact for further information and what you need to do to ensure your payments from UCD are taxed correctly. Links to external sites related to this topic are also listed.

Back to top


What is a PPS number?

The PPS number is the citizen’s unique reference number for all dealings with the Public Service including social welfare, tax and health services. You must obtain your PPS number before applying for your Certificate of Tax Credits & Standard Rate Cut-off Point.

Back to top


Applying for a PPS number

To apply, contact your local office of the Department of Social Community and Family Affairs.

Proof of identity is a vitally important aspect of the registration procedure and must be established before a PPS Number is allocated. Documents presented may be held for authentication. The following are the prescribed documents to accompany a PPS Number application:

Bring along the following when applying for your PPS number     
   Irish National UK Citizens  EU / EEA citizens  Non-EEA nationals 
Birth Certificate / Passport Birth Certificate Passport / Birth Certificate  Passport / National ID Card Passport /
GNIB card
Photographic ID Drivers Licence / Passport Drivers Licence    
Proof of address Evidence of Irish Address Evidence of Irish Address Evidence of Irish Address

Do Not Bring:

  • Baptismal Certificates
  • Employment identity cards / personal letters
  • Photocopies of certificates / documents
  • Expired documents

Evidence of an address might include:

  • Household utility bill
  • Official letter / document
  • Financial statement
  • Property lease or tenancy agreement
  • Verified employer's letter

Note: All documents must show the applicants name and address

Back to top


Applying for a Tax Cert

You can only apply for a Tax Cert once you have your PPS number. Below, choose which of the following applies to you.

 I've never worked in Ireland I have my P45
(from the current tax year)
I don't have my P45 

Send in form 12A to:

Inspector of Taxes,
Dublin General District 2,
Section 658
98-93 Lower Mount Street,

Send in P45 to UCD Payroll

Contact Revenue for new Tax Cert on: 1890 60 50 90

You will need:

  • UCD Employer No.: 0079124M
  • UCD Unit No.: 658
  • Your PPS No.
A new Tax Cert will be sent to you and UCD Payroll   A new Tax Cert will be sent to you and UCD Payroll

Note: If your employer does not get a Tax Cert or P45 they are obliged to deduct emergency tax.

Back to top


Useful Links & Forms

UCD Payroll - Find out if your Tax Cert / P45 has arrived in UCD.

Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs - Find your local office.

Revenue Commissioners - Learn about the tax system.

Citizens Information - Learn about working in Ireland, taxation and social welfare entitlements.

Form 12A - Apply for Tax Cert for the first time.

Back to top