Skip navigation


Adoptive Leave


Only an adoptive mother is entitled to avail of adoptive leave, except in the case where a male is the sole adopter. Below you will find a brief summary of the steps you need to take to apply for adoptive leave; the forms required to make the application and a detailed policy outlining your entitlement.

Back to top


Applying for Adoptive Leave

Step 1: Read the university's Adoptive Leave Policy

Step 2: Complete and sign the “Notification of Intention to take Adoptive Leave” form and have it countersigned by the Head of School/Unit.  Remember to attach  a copy of the “Declaration of Suitability" or a “Certificate of Placement” to the notification form



Note!  In the case of a foreign adoption, you must provide a copy of the statement of the Declaration of Suitability before the commencement of adoptive leave.  Particulars of the placement should be also provided as soon as is reasonably practicable, but not later than 4 weeks after the date of placement.


Step 3: Seek approval from the Head of School/Unit, if it is your intention to take annual leave following your adoptive leave.


Step 4: Apply to Social Welfare for adoptive benefit



Step 5: Forward all of your adoptive leave paperwork to HR Operations, UCD Human Resources, Roebuck Offices for implementation and processing.


Note! Send the Social Welfare benefit form (AB1) to HR Operations to complete the employer’s part of the form.


What happens next?


You will receive a letter from UCD HR confirming:-



  • Receipt of your “Notification of Intention to Take Adoptive Leave” form.
  • Your adoptive leave dates.
  • The date you are due to return to the university following the leave concerned.


Note! The adoptive leave “Notification of Return to Work” form will be enclosed with the adoptive leave acknowledgement letter.

Back to top



Adoptive Leave Form

Adoptive Leave Return to Work Form

Social Welfare Adoptive Benefit Form (AB1) can be downloaded from

Back to top



Adoptive Leave Policy

Back to top


Ask HR

  • Am I entitled to paid adoptive leave?
  • How do I apply for Social Welfare adoptive benefit?
  • On the AB1 form under “Payment Details” who do I have the benefit paid to?

If you cannot find the information you are looking for please 'Ask HR' by completing this form below.

Your Name: *
Personnel No: (optional)
Your Email: *
Your Telephone: *

Back to top


If you are unable to find the information you are looking for, please call 
the UCD HR Helpdesk on + 353 (01) 716  4900