Skip navigation


Parental Leave

New Parental Leave Entitlements effective 1 September 2019

The Parental Leave (Amendment) Act 2019 was signed into law on 22 May 2019. The Act provides for an additional 4 weeks of parental leave i.e an increase from 18 to 22 weeks to take effect from 1 September 2019 and a further increase from 22 to 26 weeks to take effect from 1st September 2020.

The entitlement to the additional parental leave will come into effect from 1 September 2019 as follows:

    • Parental leave entitlement available increases from 18 weeks to 22 weeks from 1 September 2019


    • From 22 weeks to 26 weeks from 1 September 2020

Please note that there is no change with regard to the age of the child as the UCD parental leave policy currently provides for parental leave for a child under 13 years of age. In the case of a child with a disability, the age limit is 16 years. If an employee has already taken some, or all of the current entitlement to 18 weeks parental leave, they still get the additional parental leave, if their child is still eligible.

The current UCD patterns of parental leave available remains unchanged.

The UCD Parental Leave Policy and UCD HR website will be updated in due course. Meanwhile, anyone wishing to available of the additional parental leave should complete the Parental Leave Application Form and return it to UCD HR Operations, Roebuck Offices, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4.

If you have any queries, please email

Back to top



Parental leave is available to employees with continuous service of one year who are natural or adoptive parents, and also extends to persons acting in loco parentis in respect of an eligible child. It is unpaid leave from work, taken by parents to enable them to take care of their child in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Parental Leave Act.

Below you will find a brief summary of the steps you need to take to apply for parental leave; the form required to make the application and a detailed policy outlining your entitlement.

Back to top


Applying for Parental Leave

Step 1: Read the university's Parental Leave Policy


Step 2: Discuss with your Head of School/Unit (a) when you want to take the leave and (b) the manner in which you want to take the leave i.e. block or broken form.

Step 3: Once the Head of School/Unit agrees to both the timing and manner of your parental leave you must complete and sign the “Notification of Intention to take Parental Leave” form.


Note! Remember to attach to the notification form:-



  • A copy of the child’s birth certificate or
  • A copy of the “Certificate of Placement

Step 4: Seek approval from the Head of School/Unit, if it is your intention to take annual leave following your parental leave.  



Step 5: Forward the parental leave notification form plus the child’s birth certificate or certificate of placement to HR Operations, UCD Human Resources, Roebuck Offices for implementation and processing.


What happens next?  


Step 1: On receipt of your “Notification of Intention to take Parental Leave” form UCD HR will send you the “Parental Leave Confirmation Form B” form for your signature.  This form will confirm inter alia the following information:-


  • The duration of the leave
  • Your parental leave dates

The date you are due to return to the college following parental leave (if leave taken in block form) or the date you are due to return to working a full week (if leave taken in broken form).


Step 2: Once you sign the “Confirmation Form B” return it to UCD HR and a copy of this form will be sent to you.

Back to top



Back to top



Back to top


Ask HR

  • Am I entitled to take parental leave?

If you cannot find the information you are looking for please 'Ask HR' by completing this form below.

Your Name: *
Personnel No: (optional)
Your Email: *
Your Telephone: *

Back to top


If you are unable to find the information you are looking for, please call 
the UCD HR Helpdesk on + 353 (01) 716  4900