FileSender is a web based application that allows users to securely and easily send large files to other users. The purpose of the software is to send a large file to someone, have that file available for download for a certain amount of time, and after that time has elapsed automatically delete the file. The software is not intended as a permanent file publishing platform.
A user does not need an account to download a file and users without an account can upload a file if they are sent a voucher by a user who has an account.
Since 2016 FileSender includes an option to securely encypt files before sharing or sending them. Once they are encrypted with a strong password the information is safe should the files accidentally go missing. It is important that when sending encrypted files, you send the password separately. For example, if you email an encrypted file, then send the decryption password using SMS or call the person directly.
Please read frequently asked questions for more information on file sharing.
The service can be accessed as follows:
- Goto https://filesender.heanet.ie/
- Click on the “Logon” button
- Choose "University College Dublin" from the drop down list of organisations
- Click on “Select”
- Input your UCD Connect username & password and click on “Log In”
Note: This application supports HTML5 browsers. Help and advice is available from the Helpdesk at ext. 2700 or by email@example.com and from the IT Centres
1. What are the minimum requirements for my computer?
Requirements differ depending on the size of the file being uploaded:
For uploads up to 2GB:
- Current release of most popular browsers
- Flash Player 10.x browser plugin
For uploads over 2GB:
- A browser that supports the required HTML5 FileAPI functionality HTML5.
- Uploads larger then 2GB are known to work now with FireFox4+ and Chrome on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
- Please use the "When can I use..." website to monitor implementation progress of the HTML5 FileAPI for all major browsers. In particular support for FileReader API and Blob URLs needs to be lightgreen (=supported) for a browser to support uploads larger then 2GB
2. What is the maximum recipient addresses per email?
The maximum number of recipient addresses per email is 100 - each must be separated by comma or semi-colon.
3. What is the maximum number of files per upload?
The maximum number of files per upload is 1. To upload several files at once, zip them into a single archive first.
4. What is the maximum file size per upload?
- Maximum file size per upload, without HTML5 support: 1.95 GB
- Maximum file size per upload, with HTML5 support: 100 GB
5. Can I specify the amount of time after which the file is deleted?
Yes, by specifying the expiry date when you do a file upload.
6. Can users without an account upload a file?
Yes, if they are given a voucher generated by a user with an account.
7. What is the maximum voucher expiry days?
8. How do I share, receive or manage files or generate a voucher for a guest user to share a file?
Click here for more information
8. How are files encrypted?
11. Where is the encryption password stored?
The password is always held by the sender, not stored anywhere in filesender. If the sender loses the password, there is no way to recover the files.
12. How should I send the Encryption password?
Password should be send using a separate communication method such as SMS or over the phone. Do not send the password in the Filesender description or using Email.
13. Is there any limitations on the sise of encrypted files?