Register your computer on the network
To connect a laptop/desktop to the UCD wired network you must first register it with us (only UCD registered staff and students will be able to avail of this service).
You do not have to register your laptop to access the Wireless networks in UCD. Information on accessing our wireless services is available here.
(Please note: Wired access is not available in UCD Residences)
- Turn off/disable your wireless network card and using a network cable, connect your laptop to a network point in a laptop area around campus.
- Launch a web browser (Note: It is recommended that you use the Internet explorer browser for the registration process). You will be automatically presented with a registration screen. When asked for a User Id and Password you should enter your UCD Connect account details. Follow the steps to submit your registration and it will be completed within one hour.
- Once registration is complete you will be able to access the wired network.
- Using a network cable, connect your new piece of equipment to a network point in your office (in case of laptop turn off/disable the wireless network card first).
- Launch a web browser. You will be automatically presented with a registration screen. When asked for a User Id and Password you should enter your UCD Connect account details. Follow the steps to submit your registration and it will be completed within 24 hours.
Alternatively you can fill in the online registration form*
*Before manually registering you need to get the ethernet address of your computer.
An ethernet address is a 12 digit code, e.g. 00:08:4a:f9:d5:30.
Find the Ethernet Address for a computer using Microsft Windows
Go to Start > Run.
Type Command in the run box. A black box will appear.
Type ipconfig/all and hit Return. Some information will then appear.
Under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection, you should see a physical address. Take note of the 12 digit code. This is the computer’s ethernet address.
Find the Ethernet Address for a Mac
Click on the Apple logo on the top left hand corner of the screen.
Click "About this Mac"
Click "More info"
Click on "Network" on left-hand panel
Take note of the MAC address given in the bottom right-hand panel.
Then proceed to the online registration form here
If a user is in breach of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) the following actions will be taken:
- If a user breaches the acceptable usage policy the device will be reomved from the service for one week.
- If the same user is in breach again they will be removed from the service for 2 weeks.
- If the same user is in breach for a third time, they will be removed from the service and the Head of School/Unit will be notified. A communication will be required from the Head of School/Unit before the user can access the service again.
- If there is a consistent breach of the service in a particular location, then the service may be removed from that location and the relevant Head of School/Unit will be notified. A meeting with the Head of School/Unit will be required and agreement on the acceptable use of the service in that location will need to be agreed before the service will be made live again.