- You can pay Library fines and charges using your UCard - login with your UCD login and password to access the service.
- When using My Library Account to renew and check your loans, there is an option provided there to move to pay your fines with UCard
- There is also a self-service fines payment kiosk located near the Service Desk on Level 1 of the James Joyce Library. Use your UCard to pay Library fines there.
Fines and Charges
A summary of fines and charges for overdue books, late return of laptop loans, or breach of regulations regarding things like use of mobile phones and eating in the libraries are listed below.
Fine rates for overdue items and laptop loans
Please return borrowed items on time. Renewal line: +353 (0)1 716 7639.
A fines/charges policy is in place for late returns, and is applied in a fair and consistent manner to all our users.
|Long Loan overdue||€0.50 per day|
|Short Loan (48 hours) overdue||
€0.30 per hour for first 2 hours & €0.50 per hour after that
|Week Loan overdue||€2.00 per day|
|Maximum fine for each item||€50.00|
|Inter Library Loan overdue||€0.50 per day|
|4-Hour collection late fine||
|Laptop Loans late fine||
€0.50 per hour
**Please remember that laptop loans stay on your account until you plug the laptop back in when returned.**
Fines for breaking Library regulations
|Breaking Library Card regulations, inc. allowing someone else to use your card||€20.00|
|Using a mobile phone in the Library to make /receive voice calls||€20.00|
|Not having your mobile phone on silent while texting||
|Trailing Cables or using Ceiling Sockets||
|Infringement of the Library regulation on food/drink* (except bottled water)||€20.00|
|Bringing Lab Coats into the Library||€20.00|
*Any food / drink brought into the Library must be kept in your bag at all times, and food packets /wrappers must be kept sealed.
Other fines and charges
|Temporary Admission Card||€1.00|
|Handling Charge for Lost Books||€5.00|
|JJL Individual Study Rooms - late fee||€10.00 and suspension for 1 month|
Can I use the Library if I owe a fine?
Yes, you may use the Library as a study space. With unpaid fines of over €5.00 you may not:
- borrow, renew, or request items
- book a single study room
- obtain a “Letter of Introduction” to use another Library, an ALCID or SCONUL Research card.
How can I avoid paying Library fines?
- Return the items you have borrowed on time.
- Check your receipt as it states when items are due back.
- Check when your items are due back via your library account by using the “My Account” on the Library catalogue.
- Renew your items online, by telephone, or in person. Renewal line: +353 (0)1 716 7639.
- Check your UCD Connect email regularly: we send courtesy notices in advance of items falling overdue.
It is against Library regulations to lend your student card or items you have borrowed to another user. Items issued on your account are your responsibility.
Contact us if you have lost an item or have a query.
Can I get my fines waived?
In exceptional circumstances, fines may be waived or reduced. These include:
- Illness, an accident or hospitalisation.
- Family problems or a bereavement.
Written proof such as a doctor’s certificate must be provided if requested.