Special Teaching Collections
Multiple copies of books in demand, or on reading lists, are often placed in the Short Loan Collection(SLC). You can borrow three items from the SLC or, if you have a 4-Hour loan, you can only borrow two items for 48 hours. Other copies of these essential textbooks may also be available in the General Collection for longer loan.
What is the Short Loan Collection (SLC)?
The SLC holds extra copies of many of the essential texts on undergraduate reading lists. To ensure that other users have the opportunity to borrow these books, and to encourage the prompt return of this material, Library fines are charged for late returns.
Additional copies of these essential textbooks may be available in the General Collection.
How many books can I borrow from SLC?
You may borrow three items from the SLC or, if you have a 4-Hour loan item, you can only borrow two items.
How long is a Short Loan?
Books can be borrowed for 48 hours, but note:
- When you borrow a book on Thursday or Friday it is due back on Monday at 10.30.
- Remember to check your receipt for the time the book is due back.
- During the summer period, short loan books are not due back until September 9, 2019.
How do I borrow and return a SLC book?
In most of our libraries you take the item to a loans desk or issue and return it yourself using the Self-Service machines.
In the James Joyce Library you can self-issue the items but you return your book to the Express Return box. The book is taken off your account immediately.
What happens if I return the item late?
Short Loan items are in high demand, therefore fines are very high.
- Late return - up to two hours - €0.30 per hour.
- Late return - over two hours - €0.50 per hour, up to a maximum of €50.00.
Can I renew or request a SLC book?
No, SLC items cannot be renewed or requested, as they are books that are either in high demand or may be on reading lists. You could check to see if an additional copy is available in the General Collection.
High demand and reading list titles may be available for 4-Hour Loan. Other copies may also be available in the Short Loan Collection.
What is the 4-Hour/4-Here Collection?
- Items that are in very high demand at certain times of the year.
- Library fines are charged for late returns.
- You may only borrow three books from the 4-Hour/4-Here Collection or from the Short Loan Collection at a time.
Where is the 4-Hour/4-Here Collection located?
In the James Joyce Library it is located in the Short Loan Collection area. In other site libraries please enquire at the Servcies Desk.
How can I borrow a 4-Hour/4-Here item?
- In the James Joyce Library use the Self-Service machines in the Short Loan area to borrow and return items
- In other site libraries please enquire at the Services Desk
- You can borrow and take these books anywhere in the Library, but they cannot be taken out of the Library building
- 4-Here items in James Joyce Library have a yellow wrapper around them. This wrapper must be returned with the item.
How long can I borrow a 4-Hour/4-Here item for?
Items in this collection can be borrowed for four hours.
Check your receipt to make sure you know when the book is due back.
What happens if I return the item late?
High Library fines are charged for late return of 4-Hour/4-Here items.
|15 minutes late||€10.00|
|30 minutes late||€25.00|
|1 hour late||€60.00|
Can I renew or request a 4-Hour/4-Here book?
No. These items cannot be renewed/requested as they are books that are either in high demand or may be on reading lists.
You could check to see if an additional copy is available in the Short Loan Collection.
Some high demand or reading list books may only be borrowed for a week. These week loan books are found shelved in the General Collection.
How can I spot a week loan copy?
Week loan items have purple tape on the spine.
How many Week Loan books may I borrow?
You may borrow 3 of these books at a time.
How do I borrow these books?
- You need your student/library card.
- Use the Self-Service machines.
- Or bring the books to the Loans Desk.
If I am late in returning a week loan book, how much are the fines?
- Fines are charged at €2.00 per day.
May I renew or request a Week Loan book?
- Yes you may renew if nobody has requested the book.
- Week loan books can be renewed five times.
- Requests may be placed on week loan books. If another reader has the item you need on loan, place a request on it and we’ll hold it for you .