St Vincent's University Hospital is a major academic teaching hospital providing front line acute, chronic and emergency care to the South Dublin community. One of Ireland's premier healthcare centres, it offers more than forty medical specialties and is a national/regional referral centre for many conditions.
St Vincent's Hospital was founded by Mother Mary Aikenhead, foundress of the Religious Sisters of Charity, in St Stephen's Green in 1834. It transferred to its present site in Elm Park, Dublin 4 in 1970 and subsequently changed its title to St Vincent's University Hospital in 1999.
Today the St Vincent's Healthcare Group comprises St Vincent's University Hospital, St Vincent's Private Hospital, St Michael's Hospital (Dun Laoghaire) and St Columcille's Hospital (Loughlinstown). Together with the University and the Mater Misericordiae University, SVHG is a founding member of Dublin Academic Medical Centre, Ireland's first academic-led health system.