The creation of Dublin Academic Medical Centre combines existing strengths, experience and expertise creating a critical mass of healthcare professionals that can better deliver the full range of clinical services required by our patients. In time, the DAMC will enable the coordinated deployment of resources and the development of shared services across the three institutions to improve access and quality of patient care in Ireland.
Through Ireland’s two major acute hospitals and their associated general and specialist hospitals, the combined Dublin Academic Medical Centre entity:
- Serves the healthcare needs of approximately 1 million people across East Leinster.
- Provides two major Accident & Emergency centres in Dublin and delivers two modern acute medicine units.
- Operates with over 350 consultant medical staff and a similar number of non-consultant hospital doctors with over 200 doctors progressing through general medical and higher specialist training programmes.
- Cares for over 300,000 out-patient ambulatory and 100,000 in-patient acute care cases per annum in all major specialties with over 1,400 in-patient hospital beds.
- Provides national referral specialists in arthritis, cardiothoracic surgery (including transplantation), lung disease (including cystic fibrosis), liver disease (including transplantation), spinal injuries and cancer care.
- Provides two regional centres for the National Breast Screening Programme as part of the national cancer control strategy.
- Offers national and regional centres of excellence in breast, lung, gynaecological, pancreatic, prostate and colorectal cancer surgery and oncology within the national cancer control programme.
- Has pre-eminent clinical centres for infectious diseases (including Hepatitis C), diabetes and endocrinology.
- Delivers regional centres for ophthalmology, dermatology and oncology.
- Has Ireland’s largest clinical research centre, operating at both hospital sites under a single governance structure and is an active participant in both the Dublin Centre for Clinical Research and Molecular Medicine Ireland initiatives.
- Offers focal points for the coordination of North and South Dublin healthcare services delivered in the community and at smaller specialist clinical facilities through referral by an extensive network of general practitioners.