Professional Certificate in Medico-Legal Aspects of Healthcare
The School invites applications for our Professional Certificate in Medico-Legal Aspects of Healthcare, an innovative blend of lectures, seminars, workshops and case studies delivered by experts from UCD Forensic & Legal Medicine.
This course provides training for healthcare providers, doctors, dentists, nurses, physiotherapists, radiographers, other healthcare professionals and personnel, hospital managers, clinical risk advisors/managers, hospital managers/directors, administrators and other professionals working directly or indirectly in the fields of patient quality, safety and clinical risk management, and will also be direct professional interest to healthcare lawyers and those involved in claims management.
The 4 month, part-time programme commences in September 2016 and covers are range of medico-legal aspects of healthcare including:
- Clinical risk management and risk management in practice
- Issues of patient safety and quality
- An introduction to the legal system
- Medical negligence
- Health & Safety Issues in Healthcare
- Patient consent, confidentiality and privacy
- Beginning and end of life issues
- Medical research, medico-ethical aspects of law and medical ethics
- Medical Litigation Issues including Plaintiff and Defendant perspectives
- The Coroner’s Court
- Fitness to Practice and Professional Regulation
- Practical aspects of expert witness and evidence in cases
Participants who successfully complete the programme will have an option to continue in Semester 2 to complete our highly popular Graduate Diploma in Healthcare (Risk Management and Quality) with further options to complete a one-year part-time masters degree programme.