UCD Allergan Innovation Award 2018
To mark 40 successful years of business in Ireland, Allergan introduced an annual €50,000 Innovation Award Programme in 2017. The Allergan Innovation Award Programme partnered with six Higher Education Institutions around Ireland, including University College Dublin (UCD), to recognise and support scholars who have excelled through innovative research in the field of life sciences.
The UCD Allergan Innovation Award will again feature as part of the 2018 UCD Conway Festival of Research & Innovation, a highlight in theUCD research calendar where there is specific emphasis on showcasing the innovative potential of current research projects being undertaken. A bursary of up to €8,000 will be awarded to the early career researcher(s) whose research shows greatest innovative potential.
- UCD Allergan Innovation Award will be made following a competitive process of abstract submission open to UCD early careerresearchers in the life sciences with research interests in areas aligned to those specified by Allergan namely; dermatology & aesthetics,central nervous system, eye care, women’s health & urology, gastroenterology, cardiovascular disease and infectious disease.
- Submitting authors will be a permanent resident on the island of Ireland.
- Criteria for shortlisting abstracts will place emphasis on excellent research with innovative potential.
- Authors will provide a 250 word abstract that briefly describes the problem being addressed and why, the work has been/is beingundertaken, the salient results and conclusions, the translational impacts of this research and how this award would be used to advancethe innovative potential of the research.
- A judging panel comprising individuals with industry, innovation and commercialisation experience will select the project(s) with thegreatest innovation potential. An Allergan representative will be invited to participate on the judging panel.
- The UCD Allergan Innovation Award is a separate award process to that of the UCD Conway Festival Medal.
- The academic members of the UCD Conway Festival organising committee will shortlist a percentage of abstracts for presentation on the opening day of the Festival. Their decision will be final.
- All submitted abstracts will be invited for exhibition during the Festival as poster presentations.
- Shortlisted abstracts will be invited for presentation on the opening day of the UCD Conway Festival in a ’flash talks’ session.
Judging Shortlisted Applications
- The UCD Allergan Innovation Flash Talks session will take place on Wednesday, 03 September 2018 as part of an innovation forum.
- Authors will have 3 minutes using one concept image slide or prop with which to convey the essence and innovative potential of their research.
- A judging panel comprising individuals with industry, innovation, commercialisation experience will select the project(s) with greatest innovative potential. An Allergan representative will be invited to participate on the judging panel. The judges’ decision will be final.
- The UCD Allergan Innovation Award ceremony will take place at 6pm on Wednesday, 03 September 2018 followed by an awards reception.
- A bursary prize (s) will contribute to the further development of the recipient’s research and may be used for equipment or consumables purchase; publishing costs; travel costs to present / attend at conferences; support a visit to a collaborating laboratory for the purpose of training; or any other purpose to advance research agreed in advance with their academic supervisor.