Invigilation FAQ

Who is eligible to invigilate at UCD examinations?
  • UCD graduate students (who are not sitting examinations in the current academic year)
  • UCD staff who have invigilated in UCD or in another institutions in the Irish Public Sector prior to July 2012
Due to the large volume of applications received, we cannot guarantee that all applications will be successful.

Who is not eligible to invigilate the UCD examinations?
  • Retired UCD staff
  • Current UCD students registered to sit any exams in UCD in 2017/18

When is the next invigilation session?
End of Semester 1 exams which will take place from Monday, 11 until Friday, 22 December 2017 (including Saturday, 16 December).

Where do the exams take place?
UCD has three exam venues:

  • RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
  • Blackrock Exam Centre, Carysfort Avenue, Co.Dublin
  • The Newman Centre, Belfield Campus, Belfield, Dublin 4. (AEADS - Alternate Exam Arrangements - Disability Support)
Invigilators will be asked when applying to indicate their preference of venue.

The highest number of invigilators are required in the RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.

How do I apply for invigilation?
The application process for Semester 1 exams are now closed. Online applications will reopen for Semester 2 exams in February.

When is the closing date for returning application forms?
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is Friday, 6 October at 5pm.

When will I hear if my application has been successful?
Successful applicants for Semester 1 will be emailed the hours allocated to them by the end of November.

Will there be any training provided for new invigilators?
There will be a compulsory training session on Tuesday 5 December 2017 from 10am-12pm. All invigilators who are assigned hours for Semester 1 must attend this training. Your invigilation hours may be revoked if you fail to attend.

I need to cancel invigilation sessions assigned to me what should I do?
Once your hours have been assigned to you, you will be expected to work these hours, but where cases of illness or an emergency occur, you should contact the Invigilation team immediately.

For hours allocated in the RDS and Blackrock Exam Centres email or phone 01 716 1389/1689. For hours allocated in the Newman Centre email or phone 01 716 1421.

If for any reason you cancel any hours assigned to you, all of your hours may be revoked and allocated to another invigilator.

What is AEADS invigilation?
AEADS (Alternate Exam Arrangements - Disability Support) involves the invigilation for those registered with Disability Support. These exams are located in the Newman Centre, Belfield Campus.

What is the rate of pay for Invigilation work?
There are two standard rates of pay for Invigilation work i.e. €13.67 per hour and €12.30 per hour. In order to qualify for the higher rate, you must have previously worked in the Public Sector in a similar role. The 2011 rate of €12.30 per hour applies to anyone who has not previously done similar work in the Public Sector prior to September 2012. Further rates apply for invigilators who are assigned specialist duties and responsibilities.

How will I be paid?
In order to be paid you must complete the following steps:
  1. Complete an online hourly paid set up form requesting bank account details, immediately after receiving your assigned invigilation hours
  2. Submit your timesheet online using the Employee Self-Service (ESS) System on UCD Connect
Once you have completed step 1, you will receive an email from UCD HR confirming your UCD Personnel Number and giving you access to the ESS system necessary to complete step 2.

You will be paid directly into your bank account.

Further information regarding online hourly paid set up forms and ESS online timesheets are available at

If I already work at UCD, but have not invigilated before, do I need to complete an hourly paid set up form?
Yes. For example if you work as a tutor/demonstrator in a School, you will already have a personnel number. However, you will need to complete hourly set up form for Registry (the department which manages invigilation) also in order to process payment.

I have invigilated at UCD before, do I need to complete an hourly paid set up form?
No. In order to be paid, you only need to complete step 2 i.e. submit your timesheet online using the ESS system.

Where can I get a P45?
All queries regarding P45s should be made to the Payroll Office, UCD. Further details are available at