UCD School of Physics Annual Summer Internship Poster Competition 2015
Posted: 27 July 2017
UCD School of Physics held its annual Summer Internship Poster Competition yesterday, 30th July 2015. The Internship program is run every year in the School and this year thirteen students worked on projects over the summer. This year we were delighted to welcome Interns from the USA and India, alongside a host of Irish university undergraduate students.
The topics ranged from experimental to theoretical, across numerous research groups. Additionally projects were offered to enhance lab-based experiments taken by our undergraduate students during the academic year. Titles are listed below:
• Space Science & Technology - feasibility study for an Irish Small Satellite programme
• Advanced Laboratory Development
• Theoretical and computational modelling of proteins and protein-protein interactions: Applications to diabetes and Alzheimer's disease
• Spectroscopy of Tiny Fireballs
• Design and Manufacturing of Optically Active Nanostructures for Next Generation Solar Cells
• Timing analysis of pulsars with the INTEGRAL gamma-ray observatory
• Lecture demonstration design
• Controlling a crowd with orienting signals
• Optical variability of blazars observed by UCD's Watcher robotic telescope
• Porting astronomical data reduction labs to Python
• Avalanches and magnetic charge dynamics in spin ice
The event afforded staff, and all those who had assisted with projects over the summer, an opportunity to see the large amount of work done by all interns. Students were kept busy answering questions on their topics from our three judges; Dr. James Rice of the UCD School of Physics, Prof. John Sheridan of the UCD School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Dr. Orla Donoghue of the UCD College of Science.
The judges prised the high-standards achieved by the Summer Interns and congratulated the students on their wonderful work presented and the posters themselves.
Conor McCarthy was awarded first prize with his poster on "Spectroscopy of Tiny Fireballs” (Supervisor: Dr. Fergal O’Reilly).
Second prize was awarded to Jakub Jadwiszczak for his poster on “Design and Manufacturing of Optically Active Nanostructures for Next Generation Solar Cells”(Supervisor: Dr. Dominic Zerulla).
Mateusz Olszewski was awarded third prize for his poster entitled “Lecture Demonstration Design” (Supervisor: Dr. Tom McCormack).
The organsiers of the Summer Internship Program 2015 were Dr. Nebras Al Attar, Bairbre Fox, John Brennan and Nina Conti. Thanks to our judges and to Professors Lorraine Hanlon and Padraig Dunne. The program was funded by the UCD School of Physics.
Winners Photo: (Left to Right)
Dr. James Rice, Mateusz Olszewski, Prof. John Sheridan, Conor McCarthy, Jakub Jadwiszczak, Prof. Lorraine Hanlon & Dr. Nebras Al Attar.
All Interns plus Judges: (Left to Right)
Back row: Conor McCarthy, Mateusz Olszewski, Alan Price, Jakub Jadwiszczak, Liam Phelan, Luca Guarro, Glen McGrath, Seoid Ni Laoire, Sean Clooney
Front row: Marco Forte, Dr. James Rice, Prof. John Sheridan, Prof. Lorraine Hanlon, Dr. Nebras Al Attar, Maeve Lesley Doyle