Applications for September 2018 entry are open.
Master of Public Policy
1 year full time (W279) / 2 years part time (W289)
- Core modules introduce you to the key concepts, theories and analytic techniques which underpin public policy analysis.
- Optional research stream which provides you with the skills to pursue a career in public policy research.
- Optional specialist streams which enable you to examine the policy fields which interest you in-depth.
- A unique interdisciplinary course where modules are offered by various schools across University (Social Policy, Social Work and Social Justice, Economics, Geography, Law, Philosophy, Politics & International Relations, Public Health and Sociology)
- A choice of Master’s thesis or Internship.
- There is an opportunity to undertake the MA (Public Policy and Management) at the City University of Hong Kong subsequent to MA-Public Policy completion.
- There is a possiblity of progressing to the PhD in Public Policy.
- There is an option of the Graduate Diploma in Public Policy without a dissertation.
Eight Streams to Choose from
- Citizenship, Rights & Policy
- Community, Drugs & Health Policy
- Economic Policy
- Environmental Policy
- European Union Policy
- Regulatory Governance
- Research Methods
- Urban Policy
Public Policy programme details can be found here
Who is the Master of Public Policy for?
This programme is suitable for graduates who plan to pursue a career in the public or non-profit sectors, policy analysis or consulting and for those already working in these sectors, who want to develop their policy analysis, research and evaluation skills.
What will I learn?
You will develop an understanding of the political, ethical, social and economic factors which influence policy-making along with the challenges associated with effective policy implementation and regulation. You will also learn to systematically analyse public policies, and acquire skills in policy research and evaluation. In addition, you will have the opportunity to examine a number of policy fields in depth.
How will I benefit?
The Master of Public Policy is highly valued by prospective employers and gives you a competitive advantage in the job market by providing you with the conceptual, analytical and research skills necessary to succeed in the public and non-profit sector. Modules are taught by experienced academics, from a variety of social scientific disciplines, who have researched and published extensively on public policy issues.
What is the programme about?
Public policy making has become more challenging in recent years in the context of the increasing complexity of clients’ needs, growing expectations regarding appropriate service quality and diminishing public spending in many countries. The Master of Public Policy is specifically designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to meet these challenges.
We examine the socio-economic changes and political issues which influence policy making, the challenges associated with effective regulation and administration of public services and ensuring that policy decisions are evidence based. If you are interested in public policy research you can take a number of specialist modules on this issue. We also provide a number of optional streams which will enable you examine different policy fields in depth. These include: social policy, health policy, environmental policy, urban policy and European Union policy.