The University will process your personal information for a range of purposes, including the following:
- To deliver and administer your education, record the details of your studies (including any placements with external organisations), and determine/confirm your academic achievements (e.g. results, prizes)
- Where relevant (e.g. for PhD students), to monitor, evaluate and support your research activity
- To administer the relationship with any of your funders
- To deliver IT facilities to you
- To enable your participation at events (e.g. functions, graduation)
- To identify and contact students who may need additional support. (Our staff may use analysis tools to identify such cases in our systems, so we can make contact to offer assistance and advice where that is appropriate)
- To communicate effectively with you by post, email and phone, including the distribution of relevant newsletters and circulars to support your learning
- To operate security (including CCTV), governance, disciplinary (including plagiarism and academic or other misconduct), complaint, audit and quality assurance processes and arrangements
- To support your training, medical, safety and welfare requirements
- To compile statistics and conduct surveys and research for internal and statutory reporting purposes
- To carry out strategic and management planning and forecasting
- To fulfil and monitor our responsibilities under equalities, immigration and public safety legislation
- To enable us to contact others in the event of an emergency (we will assume that you have checked with the individuals before you supply their contact details to us)
- To enable placements with employers.
We will only use your personal information when we have a legal basis to do so. Most commonly, we’ll use your personal information on the following legal bases:
- Where it is necessary for the performance of tasks and functions we carry out under the Universities Act 1997, and related legislation, which form the basis for our University operations, including teaching and research activities
- Where it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, such as visa monitoring, immigration rules, or reporting information to funding or regulatory bodies where the law provides for this
- Where it is necessary for the pursuit of the legitimate interests of the University and our associated bodies, such as to enable your access to University services, and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
- To protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another person (for example, in the case of a medical emergency)
- Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract have entered into, or are about to enter into, with you
- Where it is necessary for the purposes of the prevention, investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences
Should we require your consent for any specific use of your personal information, we will collect it at the appropriate time and you can withdraw this at any time.
Please be aware, in some exceptional cases, the University may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with our policies and procedures, where there is a lawful basis for doing so.
We will not use your personal information to carry out any wholly automated decision-making that affects you.