Elective Modules in UCD
Online module registration is now closed. Your College or School Office
can help you with any changes to your Autumn module registrations.
You will have a chance in January 2020 to make changes to your Spring module registrations. Dates for this will be available midway through the Autumn Trimester so keep an eye on the Key Dates web page
Elective Modules explained
- Most undergraduate degree students can take Elective modules.
- Stage 1 undergraduate degree students can choose one Elective module in Trimester 2 (Spring).
- As well as your Core and Option modules you can also study Elective modules that allow you to explore subjects outside of your area of study.
- Electives give you the chance to study modules from outside your programme area. Always read the information about a module to see if you will be interested in it and if you meet the module requirements. The Module Spotlight gives you a list of interesting Elective modules that have places available.
- You can also choose to take Structured Electives. This means taking your Elective credits in a structured manner over the course of your programme to form a recognised block of learning in a subject area amounting to a minimum of 15 credits – typically three 5 credit modules. There are a range of Structured Electives available from Languages to Statistics so make sure you explore the available choices before making your decision.
- Discovery modules are an exciting new addition to the range of Elective modules on offer. Each module is taught by more than one school and is designed to deepen students’ understanding of different disciplinary perspectives on topics of significant importance. The content of the modules includes cutting-edge research and all relate to an issue of historical or current global significance. Read more about Discovery modules in UCD.
- Note: If you are a student in Stage 1 BA or Stages 1 and 2 of Science you can (but don't have to) take your Elective credit as part of your Core/Options rather than taking an Elective.
Searching for and Selecting Elective modules
- When Online Registration opens for you, you can register to your Electives by going to the Electives page of Online Registration.
- Most Stage 2+ students can select up to two Elective modules (10 Credits) per stage. There is also the possibility to take up to 10 extra Elective credits.
When registering, have a look at the Credit Information box on the right hand side of the module registration pages to see how many credits, including how many Elective credits, you need to have.
- The Electives page will show all the Elective modules available. You can then use the filters on the left-hand side to narrow your search e.g. subject, trimester etc
- Read the module information by clicking on the module title (highlighted in blue). Make sure you read all the information about the module to make sure it's the right Elective module for you. Always read the information in Am I eligible to take this module? before making your decision.
- For full instructions take a look at the step by step guide to online registration.
Registering to Elective Modules
Stage 1 Undergraduates
Stage 2+ Undergraduates
- You can register to an Elective module in the SpringTrimester.
- If you want an Elective module, simply click Select Elective under it. Your choices will be recorded in the Electives Modules section of the Electives page.
- If you see Provisional beside an Elective choice it means that places for that module will be randomly allocated. Electives that are Provisional do not add up in the Credit Information box on the right hand side of the Electives page. If you get a place, the status will change to Confirmed and your credits will accumulate
- 1. If you want an Elective module, simply click Select Elective under it. Your choices will be recorded in the Electives Modules section of the Electives page.
- If you see Provisional beside an Elective choice it means that places for that module will be randomly allocated on the weekend before lectures start. Electives that are Provisional do not add up in the Credit Information box on the right hand side of the Electives page. If you get a place, the status will change to Confirmed and your credits will accumulate.
- Check your UCD Connect email for daily status updates on the Electives that you have chosen. Check your UCD Connect email on 7 September to see if you were successful in getting a place in your Elective module(s). If you get a place, the status will change to Confirmed and your credits will accumulate.
- If you are repeating a programme with an undeclared major, e.g. Arts or Engineering Omnibus, you will be able to select modules that you may wish to study for your next stage on the Electives page.
- Stage 2+ Undergraduates - remember that places in Elective modules will be randomly allocated on the weekend before lectures start so you will not know if they are full or not until after that.
- Sometimes there is more than one offering of a module. If you don't get a place in one time slot you may be able to get a place in another one once module registration opens again after allocation.
- You will find that places become available on many Option and Elective modules as other students change their minds about what modules they want to study.
- Schools may, where appropriate, create and release additional places on certain modules so keep an eye on Module Places for details.