Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI)
Information for students who have applied for Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) for 2019/20
The Student Grant Scheme is the main financial support available for eligible students attending full-time programmes at UCD. It is overseen by the Department of Education and Skills and is administered by SUSI. All new applicants to the Scheme apply to SUSI
The closing date
for the prioritising of renewal applications is 13 June 2019
and for new applications the 11 July 2019
. Applicants can still apply after that, but SUSI will be giving priority to those who applied before 13 June 2019
. Any queries regarding the final application date should be directed to SUSI
It is your responsibility to ensure that your grant application, whether renewal or first time, is complete and fully submitted to SUSI within the deadline.
Further details on the Student Grant Scheme, including how to check eligibility and how to apply, are available here:
The Grant Process - How it works
SUSI Grant Holders
- This section applies to first time SUSI applicants and returning applicants who have re-applied to SUSI to renew a grant
- If you have been offered a place in UCD and have applied to SUSI for a grant you will be asked to input your 13 digit SUSI application code in the Personal details section of the registration process when you go online to register
- If you are a SUSI Grant Holder you do not need to notify UCD of your grant approval status. SUSI will notify UCD directly if you are eligible for a grant, whether first-time or renewal
- If your SUSI grant application is approved, SUSI will notify UCD which will allow Administrative Services to credit your account for the approved amount. An invoice for those fees will then be issued to SUSI for payment
- When SUSI has paid this fee to UCD, and where a refund may be due (for example, if you have already paid some or all of your fees), this will be automatically processed
Entitlement to a Grant
For further information about entitlement to a SUSI Grant, Rates of Grants and Grants Means Testing, please check the following website SUSI
Notification to the University of Grant Entitlement
If you are a SUSI grant applicant
you will not need to notify UCD of your grant approval status. SUSI will notify UCD directly. However, if you have been offered a place in UCD and have applied to SUSI for a grant you will be asked for your 13 digit Alpha numeric SUSI number in the Personal details section of the registration process when you go online to register.
What must I pay?
Please note that SUSI
does not cover the Student Centre Levy of €254
and all students are liable for this amount. Also, depending on the rate of grant awarded, it may not cover the full Student Contribution Charge
for Undergraduate Students, the Tuition Fees
for Post-Graduate Students or other fees
not covered by SUSI.
As an incoming student
registering to a full-time undergraduate programme who has made an application for SUSI
and whose tuition fees are fully covered by the Free Fees Initiative
, you should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy by 08 September 2019
. The remaining two thirds of the Student Centre Levy should be paid by 31 January 2020
A continuing undergraduate student
whose tuition fees are fully covered by the Free Fees Initiative
should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy plus one third of any other fees and charges not covered by the SUSI grant by 08 September 2019
. The remaining two thirds of the Student Centre Levy and the balance of charges are due by 31 January 2020
A post-graduate student
should pay a minimum of one third of the Student Centre Levy plus one third of any other fees and charges not covered by the SUSI grant by the following dates: 08 September 2019
, 31 January 2020
and 17 May 2020
. Please note: These payment dates are subject to the start of your academic year.
The Student Centre Levy for 2019-2020
If you have registered to a full-time post-graduate programme, have already paid a deposit towards your fees and have registered for a programme where the total tuition fee will be paid by SUSI, you do not need to pay the Student Centre Levy as the deposit will cover this payment.
Further information can be found on the following link: Student Contribution Charge and the Student Centre Levy
Refunds - Student Grant Holders
If you are entitled to a refund of fees paid, due to your grant approval, it will be automatically processed after UCD has received the fee payment from SUSI.
Other Funding Available to the Graduate Research Students
On academic merit:
- Irish Research Council
- Remission of tuition fees for holders of IRC Awards - please note that you must pay the student levy and any additional costs not covered by the grant