UCD Orientation Week 2017
To help you settle into life at UCD we organise orientation events for all new students.
These events run from 4 to 8 September and are designed to help you find your way in UCD. Check your personalized Orientation timetable for events, times and locations.
Two of the most important things to do during Orientation Week are to say ‘Hello’ to other new students and to get involved in as many activities as you can.
Orientation week is compulsory for all new students
What happens during Orientation?
- You’ll meet your Peer Mentor who will show you around the campus and the buildings where your lectures will take place, as well as introduce you to your classmates and help you to settle into life at UCD. As well as providing support, information and informal advice, your Peer Mentor knows which support services to refer you to if there is a need. Stay in touch with your mentor - especially in Semester 1.
- You have the opportunity to make new friends and get to know people
- UCD Orientation Guides (dressed in blue t-shirts) will help you to familiarise yourself with the campus and UCD services
- You will meet your lecturers, tutors and staff in the School and Programme Offices
- As you will have begun your registration to your programme, Orientation Week gives you the opportunity to receive academic advice to help you finalise your choice of modules so you have your timetable in place before the first day of lectures
- We introduce you to all the student services at UCD and what they offer you.
- You collect your UCD Student Card (UCARD) which is required for accessing the library and other on-campus services. UCARDs can be collected from building 71 during Orientation Week. Check your personalized Orientation timetable to find out when you are scheduled to collect yours.
- You visit the Students’ Union tent to learn about its services and activities.
- You attend the President’s Welcome ceremony for students on your degree programme to mark the official start to your UCD career. You also collect your free UCD Scarf and pocket guide at the President’s Welcome ceremony.
- There are also lots of fun activities during the week, including a comedy debate, a food fair, movie nights, sports tournaments, gigs and the Orientation Barbecue and Res Céilí. Check out the social events taking place during Orientation Week.
- The best thing is that Orientation doesn’t stop there! There will be more events all through the first semester to help you settle into your programme.