The Homeless Period Initiative
On International Women's Day 2018, Mary Gallagher-Cooke, Manager of the College of Social Sciences and Law, announced that UCD hopes to create numerous donation points around campus in which employees and students can donate sanitary products to women of Inner City Helping Homeless, as part of the Homeless Period Ireland initiative. This initiative aims to help women experiencing period poverty and believes that tampons and towels should be made available to all women.
The response was overwhelmingly positive, with colleagues from buildings all over campus volunteering to facilitate donation points in their respective buildings.
The current locations of drop-off points for donations are as follows:
- Gerard Manley Hopkins Building: Global Lounge - beside reception, Lower Ground Floor, UCD International
- Hannah Sheehy-Skeffington Building: Entrance hall under room numbers
- James Joyce Library: Outside, beside book swap
- Newman Building: Corridor of D1 (outside office D110)
- Newman Building: Entrance to Geography Office corridor, ground floor
- Newstead Building: (Block A beside the post department) International Study Centre, Student's Committee
- O' Brien Centre for Science: Ground floor of the Hub, beside post box
- Roebuck Office Building: Entrance hall
- School of Computer Science: Ground floor, on the right
- Tierney building: 1st floor book swap shelf area
Keep your eyes peeled for more information on this great initiative. We wish to extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to our colleagues across campus who have facilitated donation points in their respective buildings.
Please contact Mary for further information.