Small Animal Medicine Services
On weekdays, routine internal medical services are provided by a senior clinician, one resident and nursing support. On specific days during the week, there may be specialist clinics overseen by a senior clinician with a particular qualification or interest in that field, supported by a resident and nursing staff, in the areas of:
- Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Pharmacology/Therapeutics
The internal medicine service has state-of-the-art facilities, including endoscopy, dental and intensive care equipment, and is complemented by Diagnostic Imaging and Diagnostic Laboratory services on the premises.
The UCDVH Small Animal Medicine Service also offers a minimally invasive test for Muscular Dystrophy in the Japanese Spitz. Please click here for further information on this service.
Small Animal Surgery Services
The Small Animal Surgery Service includes surgical specialists, as well as residents (specialists in training), interns and senior veterinary students. We aim to provide the highest level of care for your pet, while keeping you updated and informed at all times.
The Small Animal Surgery Service deals with a range of patients requiring either Orthopaedic, Neurological or Soft Tissue surgeries. Orthopaedic surgeries are carried out on companion animals with bone, articulation, muscle or tendon diseases, including trauma. Hospitalisation of patients is generally required. We offer advanced surgical and medical treatment for the management of orthopaedic and neurological diseases. Our services include but are not limited to treatment of:
- Canine Hip Dysplasia: We offer juvenile pubic symphysiodesis, Triple Pelvic Osteotomy and Femoral Head Ostectomy
- Other diseases of the hip: We offer treatment for traumatic hip luxations, fractures and congenital disease
- Diseases of the elbow and shoulder: We offer advanced imaging and arthroscopic techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of the common diseases of the elbow and shoulder
- Angular limb deformities: Surgical treatments such as corrective osteotomies/ostectomies and bone lengthening procedures are available to correct many of these problems
- Cranial Cruciate Rupture: Our surgical team offers both extra capsular (outside the joint) repairs and the newer Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO)
- Patella Luxation
- Traumatic injuries and fractures: We offer surgical treatment and fixation for all types of traumatic orthopaedic cases. Surgical technology includes fixation with metal implants as well as external fixation and bone plate technology
- Arthroscopic Joint Exploration: Our service is now offering this state-of-the-art, less invasive approach, to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the shoulder, elbow, knee and ankle (tarsus)
- Intervertebral Disc Disease and routine neurologic conditions: Our surgical team is well equipped to diagnose (technology for myelogram and MRI) and recommend surgical and non-surgical treatment for common neurological conditions such as IVDD and spinal fractures