The goal of UCD Women in the Sciences is to encourage and support women scientists to engage equally at all levels from undergraduate onwards in scientific and academic life at UCD.
- Facilitate the networking of UCD scientists at all levels via a lunchtime seminar series that celebrates the contributions of women scientists to all aspects of academic life.
- Publicize the work of successful women scientists from undergraduate level onwards.
- Engage and collaborate nationally to share good practice and promote the extension of the UK-based Athena SWAN Charter to Irish Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The Athena SWAN charter promotes good practice in the employment and retention of women in science, engineering, technology, medicine and mathematics (STEMM) in UK HEIs.
- Coordinate UCD Science’s application for an Athena SWAN award.
Long term goals
- Contribute to policy development at UCD level and nationally.
- Engage with other third level institutions, policy makers and funders to promote the cause of gender equality at universities throughout Ireland.