UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science presented Athena SWAN award.
The UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science were one of seven schools from University College Dublin to be presented with the award for their work towards gender equality at an event in Dublin recently.
Athena SWAN (Scientific Women’s Academic Network) is a charter aimed at encouraging the career advancement of women in STEM, and higher education and research.
Each Bronze Award celebrates good practice towards the advancement of gender equality and representation.
There are now 12 Schools at UCD which have achieved Athena SWAN awards, with a further nine Schools and one College seeking recognition.
“Diversity is one of the core values in UCD’s strategy, and one of our strategic objectives is the attraction and retention of an excellent and diverse cohort of students, faculty and staff,” said Professor Orla Feely, UCD Vice-President for Research, Innovation and Impact and Chair of UCD’s Gender Equality Action Group.
“The Athena SWAN process is central to our ability to deliver on this objective and deliver on UCD’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
She added: “I am delighted to congratulate the Schools that have achieved this success on the basis of their commitment to delivering gender equality, encouraging greater female participation in STEM and ultimately making UCD a more inclusive place to work and study for everyone.”
Building on UCD’s institutional Athena SWAN Bronze Award in 2017, these awards mark the second round of UCD Schools that have received Bronze Award status.
The UCD Schools with Athena SWAN Awards:
- UCD School of Agriculture and Food Science (May 2019)
- UCD School of Veterinary Medicine (May 2019)
- UCD School of Archaeology (May 2019)
- UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science (May 2019)
- UCD School of Medicine (October 2019)
- UCD School of Biology and Environmental Science (October 2019)
- UCD School of Architecture, Planning and Environmental Policy (October 2019)
- UCD School of Biosystems and Food Engineering (October 2019)
- UCD School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering (October 2019)
- UCD School of Civil Engineering (October 2019)
- UCD School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (October 2019)
- UCD School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering. (October 2019)
These Schools encompass some 1350 faculty and staff and almost 10,000 students.
- Ends -