- Upcoming Event: Democratising Conservation
- Irish architects awarded UCD’s highest honour
- City Futures IV
- Environmental Policy academics launch report on the Failure of Water Charges in Ireland
- O'Donnell and Tuomey are shortlisted for this year's RIBA international prize
- Winners of RTPI research awards focus on design and quality of development
- Arklow through the eyes of strangers
- Irish architect Niall McLaughlin vies for UK’s top architecture accolade
- APEP Student Research Bursary awarded to Jinxuan Wang
- Jane Rendell, Despina Stratigakos & Ruth Morrow in conversation
- UCD at La Biennale di Venezia
- Funded PhD Opportunities in Environmental Policy.
- UCD Master of Architecture achieves Substantial Equivalency from the NAAB
- DIGITAL MATTERS: Research Lecture Series 7
- DIGITAL MATTERS: Research Lecture Series 6
- Student-Employer Networking at the Planning & Environmental Policy Careers Day
- DIGITAL MATTERS: Research Lecture Series 5
- DIGITAL MATTERS: Research Lecture Series 4
Exploring Society's Understanding of the Bioeconomy/Bio-Technology and Public Policy. Funded PhD Opportunities in Environmental Policy.
Friday, 11 May, 2018
A number of funded PhD studentships at UCD Earth Institute are now open for application. These are funded as part of the BEACON Bioeconomy Research Centre. BEACON is a newly established Science Foundation Ireland Research centre that will perform both blue skies and industry focused research to advance the development of a Bioeconomy in Ireland and Internationally.
The modern world is dependent upon fossil resources to produce everyday items that we consume. Since these resources are finite and depleting, it is essential to develop alternative technologies based on renewable biological resources. The emerging bioeconomy can support the transition away from a fossil-resource economy, and can help address issues such as climate change and food security. To advance a bio-based economy requires greater knowledge about people's understanding of the bioeconomy and also the development of a coherent public policy framework.
To advance this research area UCD Earth Institute and Teagasc are jointly promoting and co-supervising four PhD studentships in the Social Science/Sustainability area on the following study topics:
- Beacon PhD Societal Understanding of Bioeconomy
- Consumer Understanding of the Bioeconomy and Bio-based Products
- Public Policy and Development of the Bioeconomy
- Actor-Oriented Approach to understanding the Bioeconomy-Society Interface in Ireland
Each studentship is worth €18,500 per annum in addition to a €5,500 fee contribution per annum. Applications are invited from students with a background in a wide range of areas including Social Sciences (e.g. economics, pschyology, sociology etc), Business, Planning and Environmental Policy. Click on each of the four PhD links above for further information on the specific PhD study topic and for details on how to apply.
Closing date for application is 5pm June 11th 2018.