Davis Now Lectures: Making Home
The RTÉ Radio 1 DAVIS NOW LECTURES present aspects of MAKING HOME by contributors renowned in their fields of Architecture, History, Technology, Arts and Economics.
Explaining the "Making Home" theme, Dr Rowley said:
"The intention is to take a major national issue - in this case Housing - and present and discuss socio-economic and cultural aspects that stretch the public understanding and the definition of 'home' nationally and universally."
Five lectures (see below) are recorded on location around Ireland in July for future broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 as five hour-long edited programmes. Each of the lectures is followed by contributions from invited guests, followed by a Q&A with the audience.
Design lecture discussion, Nano Nagle Place, Cork City
The 2019 series presents aspects of MAKING HOME by contributors renowned in their fields of architecture, history, technology, arts and economics.
At the heart of the DAVIS NOW LECTURES is the aim of bringing to audiences newly-commissioned lectures from our finest scholars, artists and thinkers. Five lectures are recorded on location around Ireland for broadcast as hour-long edited programmes. Each event consists of a lecture, questions and remarks by an invited audience and then a public question + answer session.
The lectures are being broadcast as follows:
- 5th January, programme introduction. Ellen Rowley brings us around the venues for the MAKING HOME lectures
- 12th January, HISTORY 'Clearing Hovels and Building Homes: An Architectural History of Irish Housing', Dr Ellen Rowley at 11 Parnell Square, Dublin City
- 19th January, TECHNOLOGY 'Bricks, Mortar and Data: On the Ethics of the Smart Home', Professor Linda Doyle at Callan Workhouse Union, Co. Kilkenny
- 26th January, PERFORMANCE + THEATRE, 'Too Close to Home', Roise Goan at Glebe House and Gallery, Co. Donegal
- 2nd February, ECONOMICS + SOCIAL POLICY, 'Un-Making Home', Professor Michelle Norris at Moyross Community and Enterprise Centre, Co. Limerick
- 9th February, DESIGN + PSYCHOLOGY, 'Houses in Motion', Professor Hugh Campbell at Nano Nagle Place, Cork City
The series consultant editor is architectural historian Dr Ellen Rowley, of University College Dublin. The DAVIS NOW LECTURES series is supported by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and its academic partner is University College Dublin. The RTÉ Radio series producer is Clíodhna Ní Anluain.