Identity Statement for Cumann na nGaedheal and Fine Gael Party Minute Books
- Reference code: IE UCDA P39/MIN
- Title: Cumann na nGaedheal and Fine Gael Party Minute Books
- Dates: 1922–49
- Level of description:
- Extent: 4 volumes
Formally launched on 27 April 1923, Cumann na nGaedheal was formed from the pro-Treaty wing of Sinn Féin which had been running the country since the split in the party. It continued in power until 1932 when it was defeated at a general election by Fianna Fáil, formed in 1927 from the anti-Treaty Sinn Féin. After another defeat the following year, Cumann na nGaedheal merged with the Centre Party and the National Guard to form Fine Gael in September 1933. Between 1933 and 1973, the Party was in government twice, in coalition with the Labour Party, Clann na Poblachta, Clann na Talmhan and National Labour in the First Inter-Party Government, 1948–51, and with Labour and Clann na Talmhan in the Second Inter-Party Government, 1954–57.
The Fine Gael Archives which consists of this collection; Fine Gael General Election Archives (P39/GE); Fine Gael Presidential Elections and Constitutional Referenda Archives (P39/PR) and Fine Gael Constituency Archives (P39/C) were transferred to UCD Archives in April 1978.
Minutes of meetings of the Free State newspaper sub-committee (1922), the propaganda sub-committee (1922) the election sub-committee, the general election committee and the treaty election committee (1922–3), the executive organising committee (1924–5), the Ard Comhairle (1923–8), the standing committee (1923–8, 1933–45), and the parliamentary party (1929–49). Minutes of the standing committee of the National Farmers’ and Ratepayers’ League (1932–3).