CNWY40130 Flow Cytometry - Principles & Practice
About the course
Designed for students who wish to understand and become critically aware of principles, practice and applications of rapidly developing imaging technologies.
Credits ECTS 2.5
Dates 09-12 December 2019*
Schedule Monday -Thursday (10am - 5pm)
Module co-ordinator Dr Alfonso Blanco
Venue UCD Conway Institute
Registration OPEN - Deadline: 06 December 2019
Places available Available through UCD Conway Flow Cytometry Winter School. Fee applies.
The module will be delivered through seminars (3 hrs - morning) and practical sessions (3 hrs - afternoon)
- In advance of seminars, you will be required to review the current literature on the development and application of FC technology to particular areas of research.
- You will be assessed in :
- Competency in usage of technology by multiple choice questions
- Sample preparation and analysis by online analysis
- Course end evaluation session by problem-based assessment
What does it cover?
- Introduction to flow cytometry: principles & data analysis
- Flow cytometry instrumentation
- Flow cytometry applications; Apoptosis, cell cycle & physiology
- Flow cytometry applications; Immunology, physiology and clinical cytometry
On completion, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of flow cytometry (FC)
- Be able to obtain and critically assess FC data using specific analysis software applications and pre-acquired samples
- Be familiar with instruments and their components, demonstrate understanding and critical awareness of the process of analysis protocol creation (Block 2).
- Integrate knowledge of good laboratory practice in instrument usage, sample preparation, quality control, troubleshooting
- Be able to integrate knowledge of apoptosis, cell cycle and physiology into protocol design for FC analysis and to carry out sample analysis using standard (and/or own) samples and protocols
- Apply knowledge and understanding of FC to the analysis of immunological & phagocytic cells, carry out sample characteriSation using standard (and/or own) samples and protocols
- Be critically aware of uses of FC outside the academic research setting
- Download the CNWY40130 Flow Cytometry: Principles & Practice descriptor
- Download the 2019 UCD Conway Flow Cytometry Winter School programme
- Download the 2019 UCD Conway Module Registration Form
- Go back to the programme calendar
*Please note this module coincides with the 2019 UCD Conway Flow Cytometry Winter School with an associated discounted registration for postgraduate students.