FAQs for Students

Information still relevant on Friday 5 June 

The University is endeavouring to look after the health, well-being and academic progress of all current students. We have made arrangements to deliver courses at-distance and provide alternatives to traditional examinations. 

This is an evolving situation and these FAQs will be updated with any changes.

Classes, tutorials and assessments

Student support - general and pastoral

Who should I contact in relation to information on my course?

In the first instance, you should make contact with your College and/or School Office. 

Is the Student Desk open?

Student Desk staff are currently working remotely. All of our services are provided through the UCD Student Desk Connector only. You can also send studentdesk@ucd.ie a request for a Hangouts Chat during working hours.

How do I get official documentation of my results (transcripts, etc) if the Student Desk is closed?

As the Student Desk is working remotely, hard copies of official documentation can not currently be produced.  Instead, you should use your electronic documents which you can access via SISWeb.  If you have any questions about accessing your online documents, contact the Student Desk.

IMPORTANT 2019-2020: Statement of Results from the Autumn Trimester and from previous years will be temporarily taken offline from 15 June - 14 July.  During this time you will not be able to access your previous Statement of Results from SISWeb.  If you think you'll need your Statement of Results during this time, make sure to download and save them before 15 June.

How can I get IT support?

While our IT Centres are currently closed, IT Services staff are working remotely and you can continue to contact us through our IT Helpdesk.

t: +353 1 716 2700 e: ithelpdesk@ucd.ie w: www.ucd.ie/it  

Is there IT information available as I study remotely for exams?

The following information is designed to help you securely access the main IT services available while studying remotely.

Remote Study Guide

Can I get access to my locker? 

Following Public Health restrictions on movement (29 March, updated on 10 April), access to lockers for the period up to 5 May will not be available. Pending further Public Health updates, access to lockers will be reviewed after this period.

UCD Estate Services plans to defer centralised clearing of lockers at this time and further information on new arrangements will be made available in due course.

What UCD Library facilities are available? 

The Library services are available via Remote Access Arrangements Information, which includes links to essential UCD Library contacts, services and resources for UCD researchers, lecturers and students.

I am having difficulty finding study space and/or internet access.

If you are experiencing difficulty, please contact your College/School/Programme Office so that alternative arrangements can be made.

Who is available to provide pastoral support and advice for students?

Student support services continue. 

  • Student Advisers can be contacted by email and Zoom calls will be set up for individual consultations if necessary.
  • UCD Chaplaincy continues to play a vital role for students at this time.
  • The UCD Global Lounge is closed at the moment; however, Virtual Global Lounge activities are now being scheduled, and the UCD Global Experience team are available to respond to queries by email and Zoom.
  • Support and advice is also available from the UCD Students' Union.

I am experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19, what support is available?

If you have lost your job or are unable to work, the Irish Government has established a COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment. Please see here for further details on how to apply. If you had not yet engaged in employment, but are still in need of financial assistance, the Government is providing supports under an Exceptional Needs Payment Scheme. International students are eligible to apply for both of these schemes.

If you are facing other financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 crisis, please contact your Student Adviser who will be able to advise you as to your options. 

If I leave Ireland for an extended period of time, will my Stamp 2 IRP card become invalid?

If your IRP card has expired before returning to Ireland and you are from a visa-required country, please contact the Irish Embassy / Consulate in your country for further guidance. Please see here for further information.

I'm an international student and my Irish Residency Permit (IRP) is due to expire. What should I do?

Response from INIS website: "All such permissions that are due to expire from 20/5/2020 to 20/7/2020 are automatically renewed by the Minister for a period of 2 months. The renewal of permission is on the same basis as the existing permission and the same conditions attach. In relation to persons with existing permission under Directive 2004/38/EC (Free Movement Directive), the automatic renewal is subject to the requirement that the person is complying with the requirements of the Directive. Any permission which was renewed by the notice of 20 March 2020 and which therefore has a new expiry date between 20/05/2020 and 20/07/2020 is automatically renewed by this notice for a further 2 months. The Dublin area Registration Office located in Burgh Quay remains temporarily closed. Please also note that all Registration Offices for non-Dublin residents operated by An Garda Síochána have also temporarily closed. If you have any questions, please consult the Frequently Asked Question document."

I'm from a non-EU / EEA country and I will be eligible to apply for the Third Level Graduate Scheme when I complete my studies in order to seek employment in Ireland. How will this scheme operate in light of the Covid-19 situation?

Once you have completed your studies and received your final results, you will need to apply for a Stamp 1G permission via INIS. Please see here for further details on the application process and the temporary measures which have been put in place in light of Covid-19 restrictions.

I'm in receipt of US Federal Aid funding. Can I continue my studies at UCD at a distance?

On Friday 27 March 2020, the US Senate passed the Third COVID 19 Coronavirus Bill (H.R. 748). Among other provisions, the Bill allows for eligible programmes that would normally be taught in a traditional classroom setting to be taught through online learning for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. The Bill will be applied retroactively to all programmes that have moved online since 1 March 2020 and will cover programmes until the end of the state of emergency. Accordingly, recipients of US Federal Loans studying at UCD may continue to be in receipt of their loans even though their programmes have temporarily moved to online teaching and learning.

The third trimester disbursement of loans (for Masters and PhD students only) is due to take place on 18 May 2020. This disbursement will take place for all graduate students whose programmes have moved to online education unless they have withdrawn or requested a cancellation of their loans.

If you have decided to suspend your studies rather than continue with online education, you should contact federalaid@ucd.ie.

All recipients of Federal Aid should also consult the following release by the US Department of Education on Coronavirus and Forbearance Info for Students, Borrowers, and Parents. In particular, the Department of Education advises:

“If your school has moved classes to an online format, you must continue to participate in the course work and follow your teacher’s or professor’s instructions to remain eligible for financial aid. If you have questions about the online format, contact your school.

The administrative forbearance will last for at least 60 days from March 13, 2020. ED may extend that period, depending on the status of the COVID-19 national emergency. If the option for an administrative forbearance is extended, your loan servicer will communicate information about the extension to you.”

Student support - health

Is the UCD Student Health Service still available to me?

The Student Health Service continues to operate but in a very different manner. In line with Public Health and Government advice, the UCD Student Health Service closed for normal services on Thursday 12 March at 5pm. The situation will be reviewed in line with government advice. Changes to service are deemed necessary to reduce the risk of COVID-19 virus transmission to the Student Health Service staff and to our students.


Before contacting Student Health Services with a query, please log in to your SISweb account and make sure that your registration profile has the correct address including eircode (if known) and Irish mobile number.

Routine prescriptions and follow up appointments (e.g. contraception, pre-existing conditions and mental health reviews) will be facilitated as much as is possible by telephone consultation. If you require the prescription to be sent to your local pharmacy, please have the fax number and contact details of the pharmacy at the ready. 

What are the opening hours for Student Health Services?

Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 12.00pm and 2pm to 4.30pm. Please note there will be a small standard charge of €15.00 for all consultations.

If you have concerns regarding COVID-19, please feel free to call the service during opening hours and a nurse or doctor will phone you back and advise the next steps. All students should be prepared to answer some extensive screening questions. Please keep your phone on and be ready to receive a call back from the medical or nursing staff.

I don’t have access to a GP. When is the Student Health Service open and how do I access it? Will it be open on public holidays and over the weekend? 

The UCD Student Health Service is open from Monday to Friday (except on public holidays) and opening hours and contact details are available here. Please use the out of hours services provided above should you require assistance outside of the Centre’s normal hours of operation. If your concern relates to the coronavirus and are well, please phone HSElive at 1850 241 850 (or 041 685 0300). 

I am concerned that I may have COVID-19. What should I do?

If you have fever, chills, cough or shortness of breath, you need to call your own GP or Student Health Service who will conduct a telephone consultation with you to decide if testing is indicated. While waiting to speak to the nurse or doctor you should: 

  1. Self isolate, stay away from other people
  2. Take paracetamol for fever or pain.
  3. Have your mobile close by and charged and also your Eircode (if known) to hand as this will help the COVID-19 testing service, to contact you easily if required.

Additional information regarding the COVID-19 virus is available on the HSE website. If you have any concerns around COVID-19 and are well please look at the Health Protection Surveillance website for information or contact the HSE public advice line 1850 241850. Please note that this line is extremely busy. 

I am feeling unwell and the Student Health Service is closed. Where can I get advice?

These are the contact details of the out of hours services that are available to you for emergency or medical care. Please note there are charges for these services: 

  • EastDoc Telephone Number: (01) 221 4021
  • Doctor on Duty Telephone Number: (01) 420 0880. Opening hours 24/7

If you require advice regarding general health advice, please check out the HSE Under-the-Weather webpage.

The new student HealthMatters App is also a useful source of reliable information for the student population. It is available to download on Android and iPhone.

I have been in contact with the Student Health Service and have been told that a test for COVID-19 has been ordered, when will the test be done?

There is currently a waiting time of approximately four to five days for a test. There is a backlog so please be patient and your turn will come. We cannot speed up the testing so please do not call the Student Health Service to request this.

I have had a test done yesterday but have not had the result, when will I hear about the result?

The test results can take four to five days to come back. You will be informed as soon as the result is back. While you are waiting for the test result you need to remain in isolation, take paracetamol for fever or pain and ensure that you have plenty of fluids.

I am in self-isolation and I am feeling very upset, what can I do?

Student support services remain available. Student Advisers can be contacted by email and Zoom calls will be set up for individual consultations if necessary - Student Adviser contact details are available here. The UCD Student Counselling Services are available to students in the following ways: 

  • Telephone support to students currently attending counselling at UCD
  • Telephone consultations with staff who support students 
  • Providing useful information about self-care and coping on UCD student counselling webpage and student life app. 
  • CBT self-help tool SilverCloud

I am a student awaiting testing / a diagnosis, is there anything I need to do?

Please follow the advice being issued by the HSE regarding self isolation for those persons who are symptomatic / awaiting test results (https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html).

If you are currently a Resident on campus we would ask that you let UCD know about your status (email sirc@ucd.ie). They will be able to provide supports to you as you self isolate.

If you have not already done so, consider informing your closest contacts (i.e. housemates and partner) that you are being tested and advise them to ensure that they adhere to strict social distancing protocols (information on social distancing can be found at https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/protect-yourself.html). 

You may also wish to inform close contacts (persons who you have had more than 15 minutes face to face contact with / have shared a room with for more than 2hrs in the 48hrs prior to your symptoms developing / since you have developed symptoms) who you are aware fall into a vulnerable group (see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html for details of vulnerable groups).

I have received a positive diagnosis, what should I do?

Please follow the health advice issued to you upon diagnosis. If you are a Resident on campus, we would ask that you let UCD know about your status (email sirc@ucd.ie). They will be able to provide supports to you as you self isolate. If you are a former Campus Resident we would also ask that you let UCD know about your status (email sirc@ucd.ie).

The HSE will begin contact tracing to inform your close contacts and you should provide them with all of the information that they need. To speed up this process you should consider informing your closest contacts (housemate and partner) of your positive diagnosis and advise them to restrict their movements until they are contacted by the HSE (see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html for information on how to restrict movements).

You may also wish to inform close contacts (persons who you have had more than 15 minutes face to face contact with / have shared a room with for more than 2hrs in the 48hrs prior to your symptoms developing / since you have developed symptoms) who you are aware fall into a vulnerable group (see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html for details of vulnerable groups).

I don’t have family in Ireland. If I contract coronavirus, who will support me?

If you are diagnosed with COVID-19, a Public Health Professional will contact you with the positive result. They will also advise you on self-care. Unless assessment at hospital is indicated, the current advice to all patients in a suspect case of COVID-19 is:

It is likely that you will have already been self-isolating and looking after yourself at home for some time before the result comes back.

Your GP or the UCD Student Health Service remains available to you for advice and telephone/video assessment. Please also see other FAQs for further information on supports available to you and for further advice on what to do if you suspect you have COVID-19.

I am an international student who has recently returned home and I have received a positive diagnosis, what should I do?

Please adhere to the advice being issued by your Local Health Authority. In so far as possible you are advised to contact your closest contacts (housemates, partner) who may be back in Ireland or elsewhere and inform them of your positive diagnosis and advise them to adhere to any local guidelines that may be relevant to them. If you were previously a Resident on campus we would also ask that you let UCD know about your status (email sirc@ucd.ie).

You may also wish to inform close contacts in Ireland (persons who you have had more than 15 minutes face to face contact with / have shared a room with for more than 2hrs in the 48hrs prior to your symptoms developing / since you have developed symptoms) who you are aware fall into a vulnerable group (see https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/at-risk-groups.html for details of vulnerable groups).

If you were in Ireland during the 48hrs prior to your development of symptoms or your positive diagnosis, then you should contact the HSE in Ireland to make them aware of your status - https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/ 00 353 (0) 41 6850300.

If, and only if, you cannot make contact with the HSE via the above mentioned means then email covid19centre@ucd.ie, insert Corona positive in the subject line. and inform them of your positive diagnosis, when you left Ireland and when your symptoms began. They will inform the HSE who will be in touch with you if they consider it necessary to engage in a contact tracing exercise with you.

This email address should only be used by international students who have tested positive outside Ireland.

ls the UCD Student Counselling Service still available to me?

Yes, the UCD Student Counselling Service seeks to actively assist you despite restrictions imposed on us by the COVID-19 pandemic. While we can no longer provide face to face counselling, we understand students may be anxious at this time. Therefore the UCD Student Counselling Service is offering brief single session phone consultations to all UCD students who feel they may benefit from psychological support at this time. This service operates from Monday to Thursday. Please complete and submit this form, and a member of staff will call you back as soon as possible.

Please note that this is not an emergency service and you should use existing emergency services in your local area if you require urgent assistance, including situations where you or someone else may be at serious risk of harm.

If you are a student or intern working on the frontline and you would like support to sustain you in your work, the Counseling team is here for you. Please complete and submit this form and indicate in the form that you are a frontline worker. A member of the counseling team will arrange a phone session with you.

How do I get in contact with the Counselling Service?

To get in contact with the Student Counseling Service please phone (01) 716 3134 or email: student.counselling@ucd.ie.

What happens if I have an upcoming scheduled appointment with a counsellor at UCD? 

We can no longer offer face to face counselling. If you would like your counsellor to phone you, send an email to student.counselling@ucd.ie  

If your counsellor is not available we will let you know, and we can arrange for another counsellor from the team to phone you if you wish.

Please note the student counselling email address is checked daily, morning and afternoon, and is not monitored outside of those periods. It is not advisable that you email about an emergency or if you are at risk of harm.

What happens if I am currently attending counselling with a counselling partner off campus?

All of our partnered counselling services are making plans to maintain their support, you should check with the counselling service you are attending to ascertain how the counselling service will be delivered during this time.

What if I need help now as I or someone I know is at risk of suicide or self-harm?

You should make contact immediately with one of the following:

  • Your General Practitioner
  • Accident and Emergency Department of your nearest hospital
  • Call 999/112 

I am a staff member who is concerned about a student; how can I engage with the UCD Counselling service?

If you would like to schedule a phone consultation with a student counsellor for advice/guidance, please phone (01) 716 3134 or contact student.counselling@ucd.ie with your contact details and request to speak with a member of the counselling team. 

Please do not ask students to visit the service in person. If the student requires further information please direct them to the Student Counselling Service website or ask them to get in contact on (01) 716 3134 or by emailing student.counselling@ucd.ie.

Are there any other services available to me outside of the UCD Counselling Service? 

 The following services may be of assistance: 

 The University’s free CBT self-help tool SilverCloud is helping students deal with emotions such as anxiety and stress at this time.   

Student travel

Do I need to be in Ireland to complete my studies in Trimester 2? 

Should you wish to return to your home country to continue your studies online, and it is safe for you to travel, you are permitted to do so under the arrangements which UCD has put in place for at-distance teaching and learning. Similarly, if you are already at home or in another location, you are not required to return to Ireland to continue your studies. If you travel to another country at this time, please be alert to the public health, safety and travel advice for that country, and follow its recommendations.

In a small number of professional programmes there may be a requirement for in situ assessment. If you are on a professional programme, contact your School or College before making travel arrangements. 

If I leave Ireland to continue my studies online from another country, should I inform the University?

The Dean of Students issued email advice to all students on Monday 30 March asking you to update your term address and contact details on the My Profile page in SISWeb. If you are continuing your studies from another country or have moved to another part of Ireland, please update this information now.

How do I know if it is safe for me to travel back to Ireland from abroad, or to my home country from Ireland?

As the situation is evolving daily, UCD recommends that you check the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website before making a decision on travel. Please also consult your airline for further information, as well as the public health advice for the country you are travelling to.

I am currently studying abroad and have chosen to continue my studies overseas rather than return to Ireland. What advice is the Irish Government providing at this time?

In order to receive the latest developments on this rapidly evolving situation, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) recommends that you download the DFAT Travel Wise App which will help you to stay safe and informed while abroad. In addition, if you are an Irish citizen, you can register your contact details on Citizens’ Registration, which allows DFAT to contact you and provide assistance in the event of an unforeseen crisis or family emergency while you are overseas.


Are campus residences open? 

Residences remain open, including Front of House, Campus Services and the Duty Manager system. A reduced number of SRAs and RAs are present and will be supplemented by additional staff, as necessary. If you have concerns regarding your on-campus accommodation, you can contact residences@ucd.ie.

What will I do if my agreement runs out?

Agreements will be extended should you be unable to return to your normal place of residence at the end of your current agreement.

Can I stay in the same room?

You may be asked to move rooms in order to facilitate the best management of the residences. 

Can I give up my rental agreement?

If you wish to give up your rental agreement, you will be allowed to do so. You can download a cancellation form here.

What will happen to my personal belongings?

You must  remove all personal belongings before you leave. If you are unable to return to UCD, you should request that your belongings be placed in storage or disposed of. While the University cannot arrange shipping or delivery at present, we will store your belongings until the COVID-19 national response ends and then work with you to identify how best to repatriate your belongings.

Am I eligible for a refund?

If you are a current UCD student, resident on-campus and your fees are up to date, you should be eligible to complete the cancellation form and have a potential refund calculated for you.

How much will my refund be?

This will depend on:

  • Your current residence
  • Whether your fees are up to date
  • The date you physically leave your residence - the rebate is based on a pro rata daily rate of the licence fee surrendered

Will I still get my housing deposit back?

The security deposit refunds will be calculated as per end-of-year procedures when outstanding additional cleaning, maintenance and lock-out fees are applied.  Any balances due will then be refunded.

How do I cancel my accommodation?

You must complete a cancellation form - the revised current version is available here - and submit to email address residences@ucd.ie and residencefinance@ucd.ie

Is there a deadline to cancel to avail of the rebate?

The rebate is NOT retrospective. And do note that, arithmetically, should you remain in your accommodation within 7 days of the end of your licence period, there will be no rebate due.

What if I’m in quarantine and can’t get to my accommodation to clear out my belongings?

Please complete a cancellation form and inform residences@ucd.ie immediately of your situation so your checked-out date can be recorded.  You can then request to have your belongings packed and stored, or disposed of.

How long can my belongings be held in storage?

This will depend on the evolving situation regarding the COVID-19 guidelines and associated healthcare measures required. You will be given as much notice as is practicably possible regarding timelines for stored items.

If I am unable to return home and need to extend my license after the end of the current agreement how much will it cost?

The rate will be based on a pro rata basis based on the daily rate of the residence you have been located / relocated to. 

If I stay until the end of the current agreement and I am relocated will I have to pay a different rate?

No, you have already paid your last instalment.  If a relocation is required the intention is to move you to en-suite accommodation so you will either get similar accommodation or an upgrade.

I had already left with all my belongings and cancelled my accommodation with a form before the President's email.  Will my refund be back dated?

No, the refund will be applied as though you had both formally cancelled or checked out and will be effective from 7 days after the date of the President's email.

I left as the University closed but still have belongings in the room.  I am now going to cancel when does the refund apply from?

The refund will apply from 7 days after the date you have both

  1. sent in the cancellation form and/or
  2. the date you removed all your belongings

whichever is the latest date.

If I am advised to self-isolate by the HSE, what will I do?

Inform residences@ucd.ie and you will be moved to specific housing where you will be supported by the University.

Off-campus Accommodation

I live off-campus and my landlord has asked me to move out. I am unable to travel home. Who can assist me?

Students who are well and living in rented accommodation off campus who face housing problems because of COVID-19, eg if a landlord requires the property, may now apply for on-campus accommodation.  If this is the case, you These students should contact residenceroombooking@ucd.ie.

Other Facilities

Students and staff can contact the Campus Bookshop on 012691384 or at campus.bookshop@ucd.ie. The bookshop can facilitate special orders and postage of books and stationery as required.

The College Collection is closed until further notice.

The UCD Student Centre and all UCD sport, fitness and pool facilities are closed.  

The pharmacy remains open.

Further information about building access and facilities is available at https://ucdestates.ie/covid19/.