News and Events
- Biomedical Engineering Innovator Receives 2023 NovaUCD Innovation Champion of the Year Award
- Inventor of Disruptive Biosensors with Industrial Bioprocessing Applications Receives 2023 NovaUCD Invention of the Year Award
- seamlessCARE Receives 2023 NovaUCD Spin-Out of the Year Award
- Prof Francesco Pilla launches new bike libraries for Dublin primary schools
- Launch of WATSON Project at UCD
- UCD's Livija Vasilenkaite - First Prize Winner #ThisIsEngineering2023
- Minister Harris and Commissioner McGuinness announce first recipients under the €65M National Challenge Fund
- Séamus McDermott receives his Honorary Doctorate
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - The Final Days
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 3
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952) - Part 2
- College researchers recognised in UCD Research Impact Competition
- Ten Days in the Ruhr - A Student Engineer's Diary (1952)
- Arup Scholarship Presentation 2022
- UCD wins Higher Education Partnership of the Year Award at the Asia Matters Business Awards
- Dr Amiya Pandit wins the Thomas Mitchell Medal
- RIBA Stirling Prize 2022
- 2022 News Archive
- 2021 News Archive
- Go Eve: EV charging start-up wins UCD’s 2021 Start-Up of the Year
- Professor Anding Zhu elevated to IEEE Fellow
- Symposium: Inclusive Teaching & Learning Case Studies in Engineering, Architecture & Affiliated Disciplines
- Ireland’s first satellite measuring up at ESA for Space Week
- UCD Silicon Quantum Computing Spin-Out Receives Multimillion Euro Venture Capital Investment
- Prof Orla Feely delivers Presidential Address to Engineers Ireland on Ireland’s industrial transformation
- New EU Research Project “Screen4Care”: Accelerating Diagnosis for Rare Disease Patients Through Genetic Newborn Screening and Artificial Intelligence
- September 2021 Conferring Ceremony
- UCD’s Masters in Engineering Management (MEM) announces a big reduction in the requirement for on-campus attendance
- Early-Stage Venture Developing a Software Platform to Augment Human Memory Wins NovaUCD’s 2021 Student Enterprise Competition
- UCD project aiming to make dairy farms climate neutral awarded €2m Future Innovator Prize
- Samantha L. Martin-McAuliffe has been named a Mellon History Teaching Fellow at Dumbarton Oaks
- UCD Professor Orla Feely inaugurated as President of Engineers Ireland
- 2021 Conferring Ceremony
- Irish Researchers Win Prestigious ICE Publishing Award
- Eco-friendly biological energy harvesting solutions from University College Dublin addresses real-time damage in water pipelines
- Prof Lizbeth Goodman named in the G100 Group of Global Leaders working for Women’s Equity and Transformational Change
- Barry Brophy was featured in the Sunday Independent last weekend with an article on sports communication
- Spotlight on Research: Cheryl L’Hirondelle
- UCD Engineers Among Winners of NovaUCD’s 2021 Innovation Awards
- UCD Teaching and Learning Awards
- FOREIGN EXCHANGE: Conversations on Architecture Here and Now
- Three Case Studies from Engineering and Architecture runners-up in 2020 UCD Impact Competition
- Earth Talks: Ravindranathan Thampi
- Two Winners of the Best Innovative Concept Detail Design in the GLDA Student & Graduate Design Competition 2020.
- Meet the 2021 Smartlab Winner of the Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts
- UCD teams shortlisted for SFI's €4m Future Innovator Prize challenge
- European researchers collaborate to prevent risks to transport infrastructure
- MaREI Award
- 2020 News Archive
- 2019 News Archive
- 2018 News Archive
- 2017 News Archive
- 2016 News Archive
- Building the State
- A Centenary Celebration
Two Winners of the Best Innovative Concept Detail Design in the GLDA Student & Graduate Design Competition 2020.
Tuesday, 23 February, 2021
Posted 23 February, 2021
Congratulations to two third year Landscape Architecture students from UCD’s School of APEP.
Barbara Steczkiewicz and Evan Bailey were awarded "Best Innovative Concept Detail Design" in the Garden & Landscape Designers Association student & Graduate Design Competition 2020. This year’s design brief was to create: ‘a greener space that can add peacefulness into a very busy setting’, entrants were asked to design a site on Blind Quay in Dublin City Centre considering the site's historic and urban context, its exposure to heavy traffic and the integration of sustainable urban drainage systems (SuDS). The task was to improve the city ecology and mitigate the impact of climate change as well as to create a green oasis and calm space for various public uses on a busy trafficked street.
The competition was sponsored by Millbrook Paving Centre and The Kildare Gallery at Carton House in association with Dublin City Council, who identified a site on Dublin’s Quays for use in the competition
Applications were open to two categories:
- Any STUDENT on the Island of Ireland currently studying an (accredited) garden design, landscape architecture, horticulture related course or landscape skills training course.
- Any GRADUATE from the above approved courses who qualified in 2019 – 2020.
The prize awards were:
- Best Category One (Student) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Category Two (Graduate) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Innovative Concept Detail Award 2020 – trophy: Barbara Steczkiewicz & Evan Bailey, UCD Landscape Architecture, 3rd year.
- Best Planting Design 2020 – trophy.
You can view the winning submissions below.