Two Winners of the Best Innovative Concept Detail Design in the GLDA Student & Graduate Design Competition 2020.
Posted 23 February, 2021
Barbara Steczkiewicz and Evan Bailey were awarded "Best Innovative Concept Detail Design" in the Garden & Landscape Designers Association student & Graduate Design Competition 2020. This year’s design brief was to create: ‘a greener space that can add peacefulness into a very busy setting’, entrants were asked to design a site on Blind Quay in Dublin City Centre considering the site's historic and urban context, its exposure to heavy traffic and the integration of sustainable urban drainage systems (SuDS). The task was to improve the city ecology and mitigate the impact of climate change as well as to create a green oasis and calm space for various public uses on a busy trafficked street.
The competition was sponsored by Millbrook Paving Centre and The Kildare Gallery at Carton House in association with Dublin City Council, who identified a site on Dublin’s Quays for use in the competition
Applications were open to two categories:
- Any STUDENT on the Island of Ireland currently studying an (accredited) garden design, landscape architecture, horticulture related course or landscape skills training course.
- Any GRADUATE from the above approved courses who qualified in 2019 – 2020.
The prize awards were:
- Best Category One (Student) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Category Two (Graduate) Concept Master Plan Design – iPad & trophy.
- Best Innovative Concept Detail Award 2020 – trophy: Barbara Steczkiewicz & Evan Bailey, UCD Landscape Architecture, 3rd year.
- Best Planting Design 2020 – trophy.
You can view the winning submissions below.2020 -21 GDLA Competition Award Submission Barbara & Evan.pdf PDF|11.5 MB