UCD Festival 2019
- Hook Head Peninsula Fieldtrip
- Next Generations Explorers Award
- Software Agreement with Baker Hughes
- Maeve Boland elected Fellow of the Geological Society of America
- New faculty - Dr Kara English
- New faculty – four Ad Astra Fellows
- Dr Laia Comas-Bru WCRP/GCOS Data Prize
- Mass extinction - learning from the past for the future
- Formation of platinum-group ore deposits & sub-volcanic intrusions
- UCD’s School of Earth Sciences collaboration with Irish-based NGO Self Help Africa (SHA)
- Swampy rainforests in Antarctica dated to the mid-Cretaceous
- Professor Frank McDermott Nature Publication
- The Blue Book Project
- Geology Workshop
- IGA Diamond Jubilee Lecture
- Mt Etna
- Dr William Foster Publication
- Journal of Quaternary Science Publication
- Dr Srikumar Roy Review article
- SGA 2019 Pre-conference Field Trip
- UCD Festival 2019
- Dr Chris Mark awarded SFI Starting Investigator Research Grant
- TOSCA travels to the Mid-Atlantic ridge and discovers an other-wordly landscape
- UCD School of Earth Sciences-led international expedition, TOSCA, sets sail
- Piecing Together the Big Picture on Water and Climate
- Prof John Walsh awarded 2017 RIA Gold Medal
- Assoc Professor Eoghan Holohan Irish Research Council
UCD Festival 2019
This year's UCD Festival was held on Saturday 8th June. Both the School of Earth Science and iCRAG Centre shared the wonder of geology and the geological history and evolution of Ireland to very enthusiastic visitors.
Our interactive stands provided a full range of activities and were enjoyed by children and adults alike. We covered varied topics from ripples on Mars and how we measure earthquakes, to how mountains form and the past history of Ireland, from swamp to desert. The stands were packed for the full 6 hours the event ran for and at times had 8 people deep.
A special thanks goes to Dr Ivan Lokmer and Dr Fergus McAuliffe who led the School's and iCRAG's contributions, along with all the other staff that helped setup and man the stands.
We look forward to participating in 2020!