The Culture & Engagement Team organise a range of seminars on financial management and advice for employees, with the objective of helping you take more control of your financial future. Below we have captured the details of those advisors who have made presentations and offer bespoke services to UCD Employees, which are often discounted. They may also agree to meet on campus which can be a major benefit with busy schedules.
Please note that you need to be sure that the service provider you engage meets your needs. The relationship is between you and the provider. UCD accepts no liability for the advice or services provided.
We are always interested in feedback. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Seminars in 2020
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
"Saving money on your health insurance" - Employee seminar with healthcare insurance expert Dermot Goode
- Thursday, 23 January 2020
- 1.10pm Moore Auditorium, UCD O’Brien Centre for Science
Personal health insurance is one area where knowing the right questions to ask can save you considerable sums, particularly in a market with rapidly increasing premiums. We have retained well-known independent health insurance expert Dermot Goode to brief those renewing their health insurance within the next 3 months (or who have recently renewed their policy and are within the 14 day cooling-off period). Dermot will cover-off the best deals in the market, arm you with the necessary details and the names of plans to ask for when renewing your insurance.
This session will be of benefit to anyone who fits the following criteria;
- If your cover is due for renewal in the next 3 months and you’re trying to avoid the latest price hikes
- If you’re insured on the same plan for 2 years or more or you have all the family on the same plan
- If you want to find out the best deals, especially regarding corporate plans across the market
- If you want to find out the best discounted offers for families and child dependents
- If you’re looking to reduce the cost of your health cover but are worried about reducing your benefits or changing provider
- If you want to explore cost reduction tactics such as excesses, split cover etc. but don’t know how to go about this
- If you’re interested in guaranteed cover for out-patient expenses or dental costs
(Dermot does not represent any one insurance company and will not be looking to sell anything to those attending)
The recent period of price stability in private health insurance has come to an end with all insurers increasing their rates. This means that all savings made over the past two years will effectively be wiped out by these latest increases. Those on the oldest or most expensive schemes could see their costs increase by €160 - €320 per adult which means they will have no option but to shop around to keep the cost affordable for the next year. The Irish health insurance market is constantly changing with nearly 340 plans to choose from. New corporate plans are being launched all the time for employer schemes but every consumer can access these plans if they wish.
The best advice is to never ‘auto-renew’ your cover which means that you let your existing policy roll over without checking out the alternatives. If you’re on the same plan for three years or more or you’ve never considered a corporate plan or splitting your cover, start shopping around as soon as your renewal notice lands. Nearly all plans will have increased over the last year but with so many options to choose from, it might still be possible to avoid these increases completely and still maintain excellent cover for you / your family. If in doubt, seek independent advice!
More information / seminars
Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Mortgages (new & switching)
A mortgage market specialist can ensure you avail of the best offer in the market and not just the single mortgage package offered by an individual bank. This applies whether applying for a mortgage or switching your existing provider. Watch this video for more information.
Contact: Trevor Grant, Affinity Advisors
Affinity Advisors is an award winning financial advisory firm specialising in the provision of market-based mortgage and protection advice. This is a free on-site advisory service available to all UCD employees. For further information log on to the Affinity Advisors UCD page or contact Trevor Grant on 087 2721146 or 01 6533120 or email email@example.com.
Other mortgage specialists are available in the market.
Health Insurance Advice
Personal health insurance is one area where knowing the right questions to ask can save you considerable sums, particularly in a market with rapidly increasing premiums.
Contact: Dermot Goode, Total Health Cover
Dermot Goode is the leading expert on healthcare benefits in Ireland and has presented to UCD employee on several occasions detailing how to save money on health insurance. He runs the only intermediary in Ireland, Total Health Cover, dealing exclusively in healthcare benefits (health insurance, dental, vision-care, cash plans). Total Health Cover will review cover to help you source the best products at the lowest cost, covering all 340 plans available across VHI, Laya and Irish Life Health. All services are provided on a fee basis which ensures the best advance. For UCD employees, there is a 24% reduction in their standard fee, reducing the cost to €95. Dermot can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Health insurance prices are rising again so the latest information with Dermot Goode's 2019 update
There are many areas in life where you may need legal advice from a practising solicitor. From employment law to family law, from making a will to buying a home and much more, when you talk to a solicitor you avail of a range of benefits and protections unique to the solicitors’ profession. You should ensure that your chosen solicitor is a member of the Law Society and holds both a current practicing certificate and professional indemnity insurance.
Contact: Brendan Dillon, Dillon Solicitors
Dillon Solicitors has been offering a wide range of legal services to its substantial private and business client base since 1993. They provide a range of discounts for UCD employees and the facility to meet on campus.
Other firms of solicitors are available in the market.
Notes from:Dillon Solicitors - Legal Services briefing
Pictured above: Brendan Dillon speaks to UCD employees in the Clinton Institute
Mortgage Protection (new & reviews of current policy)
Mortgage protection insurance is a life insurance policy that pays off your mortgage if you or your partner die during the term of the mortgage. It is a compulsory requirement save in exceptional circumstances.
Contact: Trevor Grant, Affinity Advisors
Affinity Advisors provide market-based access to all protection providers including, Aviva, Friends First, Irish Life, New Ireland, Royal London and Zurich
The Affinity offering incorporates:
- Market based advice and options
- Best market price available for the cover required
- On site client meetings at times that suit you
- Full free financial review of your existing cover and requirements which may well lead to significant cost savings
- Personal service at all times, including during any claims period
- Access to OnePlan from Irish Life. This product provides a unique policy which provides a combination of life cover, critical illness and income protection that is only available from a limited distribution channel
Other mortgage protection specialists are available in the market.
Home Insurance - New 2 Year Home Insurance Offer Exclusive to UCD Employees
Affinity Advisors have teamed up with Ireland’s leading home insurer Zurich Insurance, to put together a market leading 2 Year Home Insurance Policy exclusively for UCD employees.
- Policies will run for 2 years
- Underwritten by Zurich Insurance, A+ rated insurer
- Exclusive and discounted rates
- Price guarantee for the 2 years with no loadings or penalties applied in the event that you are unfortunate enough to have a claim
- FREE - €3,000 unspecified all risks
- Award winning customer service
- Fast and efficient claims service
- Specialised rates for first time buyers
- Premiums can be paid over 22 monthly instalments, from as little as €22 per month
Other home insurance providers are available in the market.
Looking for more special offers? Visit our discounts section.