Call for Applications for 2021 UCD Maeve Binchy Travel Award
The School of English, Drama and Film, University College Dublin, is pleased to announce the opening of the 2021 competition for the Maeve Binchy Travel Award. This award, sponsored by the Binchy/Snell family, commemorates Maeve Binchy, her love of travel and her world-celebrated creative writing. The Award, worth €4,000, is open to a student (undergraduate or postgraduate) currently enrolled in UCD’s College of Arts & Humanities. The successful student will use the Award to fund a travel opportunity that will enhance her/his creative writing.
Applicants are asked to submit a combined document (preferably pdf), comprising the following:
(1) one-page document (strict maximum of one page), outlining the reason for applying for the Award and the project/activity that will be carried out if successful;
(2) a sample piece of original writing (strict maximum one page);
(3) a short curriculum vitae (strict maximum two pages).
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com by 5pm, Monday 6th December 2021 and will be reviewed by a specially convened Selection Committee.
(Full applications will be acknowledged on receipt at address above and only acknowledged applications are eligible.)
Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview in February 2022.
- Applicants must at time of application be enrolled in a course or module in UCD College of Arts and Humanities; the Award is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students in the College.
- Travel should take place, circumstances allowing, in 2022.
- The successful applicant must provide a detailed written report subsequent to travel, outlining the main achievements and learning
during her/his travel and examples of her/his creative writing influenced by the travel project/activity. S/he must provide full receipts for all travel expenses.
- It is expected that the successful applicant will subsequently be available to speak with student groups about her/his experience of the Maeve Binchy Travel Award.
Queries should be directed to Professor Margaret Kelleher, Chair of the Selection Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct all correspondence to this address only.